BC Point system

adukeofkent
adukeofkent Posts: 82
edited July 2010 in Amateur race
Appologies if there have been a million similar threads.
Can someone quickly tell me how the points system works. (not that I have won any)

How many points do you need to go up to 3rd cat?
Do you need to keep getting points while you are a 3rd cat to avoid being relegated?

Cheers Ears

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    You need 10 points, and once you are a 3rd cat, you never need to score another, and if you're like me, it may well be that you never do...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Just 10. Wow

Thank you
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Just 10. Wow

Thank you

You don't just walk into a race tho and get points.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    freehub wrote:
    Just 10. Wow

Thank you

You don't just walk into a race tho and get points.

like Will says - you don't get them free with cornflakes.. ;)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Just 10. Wow

Thank you
    A cat 3/4 circuit race has 10 points available for 1st place down to 1 point for 10th place. So you can move up a category with one win or a few top 10 placings. However, points gained must all be in the same season - the points system resets to zero each January.

Since many 3/4 races end in a bunch sprint, if you have a bit of a finishing gallop, you may find it relatively easy to pick up points. But you still need the level of fitness to be fresh enough to sprint at the end and the tactical nouse to know where to be and when.
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    I have the fitness and can get into the right(ish) place.

I have no legs for the sprint though! :lol:
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    then I dont suggest waiting till the mass sprint then!

all tactics once you got the fitness
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Well apart from a bad first race to the season at easter I have been improving in my local handicap race.

Last thursday being the best where I was part of a four man break away from the main 4th cat group. We were out for about 7 or 8 laps (Race is 17 laps in all) Then the E/1/2's came along and we joined on with them (ligitimatly, having already let them pass at the begining). In the end I finished between 12th or 15th. Really chuffed.

I wasnt being naive when I say just 10. I simply expected the answer to be higher.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    4th cat is supposed to be the equivalent of MTB Fun category (think beer bellies, entry level bikes and "in it for the craic" mentality) - an introduction to racing before moving up to 3rd cat.

In reality the entry-level standard is fairly high and plenty of weaker riders without a sprint (like me) stay 4th cat for a long time. There are relatively few 4ths only races (at least local to me) which means you are up against some fairly strong 3rds most of the time.
  • RobG100
    RobG100 Posts: 40
    Well apart from a bad first race to the season at easter I have been improving in my local handicap race.

Last thursday being the best where I was part of a four man break away from the main 4th cat group. We were out for about 7 or 8 laps (Race is 17 laps in all) Then the E/1/2's came along and we joined on with them (ligitimatly, having already let them pass at the begining). In the end I finished between 12th or 15th. Really chuffed.

I wasnt being naive when I say just 10. I simply expected the answer to be higher.

Sounds exactly like the Castle Combe race I was at this Thursday... Is it?
  • Yes mate, I was gonna mention it was Castle Coombe. Were you in the break then? Im gussing your the guy who made up the gap? If so, you are a hero.
    It was a great race, really enjoyed it. More of the same and maybe, fingers crossed.....

Im amazed at the increase in my fitness that is a result of racing. Who would have thought that an hour and a bit of lung busting, machine gun heart rate, hamstring mullering effort would result in it getting a tiny bit easier when you do it next time.
    There are relatively few 4ths only races (at least local to me) which means you are up against some fairly strong 3rds most of the time.

This is becoming apparent. Even if you like sprinting, the chances are that your not gonne beat an E/1/2 at the end in a bunch sprint are you! Anyway il keep going but feel the need to just race other races, road races included (even if it means you get mullered at least you gain more experience than people who train hard but dont take the plunge)

Experience seems of an ever increasing importace to me.
  • RobG100
    Yes mate, I was gonna mention it was Castle Coombe. Were you in the break then? Im gussing your the guy who made up the gap? If so, you are a hero.
    It was a great race, really enjoyed it. More of the same and maybe, fingers crossed.....

Im amazed at the increase in my fitness that is a result of racing. Who would have thought that an hour and a bit of lung busting, machine gun heart rate, hamstring mullering effort would result in it getting a tiny bit easier when you do it next time.

Nah, I stayed in the 4th Cat pack for the whole duration of the race, I saw a small bunch of 4 go ahead and I was very tempted to chase but I knew I couldnt keep up that pace in a pack of 4 for any great deal of time, so I just stayed back. Not sure where I came, Mid Table probably, great sprint at the end though with about 10 others, found it tough but I guess thats because Im 17 and haven't been cycling for that long. Plus I own a shitty Allez and really need to upgrade to a Carbon Bike. Completeting the race atm is my main goal.

Found it hard when the E/1/2's merged with the 3/4's. The pace increased dramatically and I got caught at the back when that happened, managed to salvage my position with a quick burst on the last lap.

But at least that was better than the time before when I blew up completely after 25miles and had to drop out...
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380

Says to me you aint pressing hard enough in training.....
    You know what to do now though!
  • freehub
    RobG100 wrote:
    Yes mate, I was gonna mention it was Castle Coombe. Were you in the break then? Im gussing your the guy who made up the gap? If so, you are a hero.

Nah, I stayed in the 4th Cat pack for the whole duration of the race, I saw a small bunch of 4 go ahead and I was very tempted to chase but I knew I couldnt keep up that pace in a pack of 4 for any great deal of time, so I just stayed back. Not sure where I came, Mid Table probably, great sprint at the end though with about 10 others, found it tough but I guess thats because Im 17 and haven't been cycling for that long. Plus I own a shitty Allez and really need to upgrade to a Carbon Bike. Completeting the race atm is my main goal.

Found it hard when the E/1/2's merged with the 3/4's. The pace increased dramatically and I got caught at the back when that happened, managed to salvage my position with a quick burst on the last lap.

But at least that was better than the time before when I blew up completely after 25miles and had to drop out...

A carbon bike is not magic you know, it won't make you go faster, I'm using an aluminium bike, it's not got much disadvantage over a carbon bike, and an Allez properly set up should do you fine. You know what they say, it's not about the bike.....
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    [proud dad]I'd just like to take this opportunity to let you know that my son is now on 9 points. A 10th place at Hillingdon and a 2nd in a Susie's Circuits race[/proud dad]

That is all. carry on.
  • RobG100
    If thats the case then, why was I surrounded with people with amazingly expensive carbon bikes and wheels that were very similar cyclists to me on Thursday then? It surely makes some difference otherwise why spend a hell of a lot more money on a bike which performs the same as an cheap Aluminium one?
  • freehub
    RobG100 wrote:
    If thats the case then, why was I surrounded with people with amazingly expensive carbon bikes and wheels that were very similar cyclists to me on Thursday then? It surely makes some difference otherwise why spend a hell of a lot more money on a bike which performs the same as an cheap Aluminium one?

Maybe they just want a carbon bike? It might make a difference up some hills and accelerating, but really it's not all about the bike, some people are just wealthy and like to splash out on their hobby.

I race on my CAAD9, with Aksiums, it is rather quite heavy and it's not limiting me in any way, I just need to improve my fitness. Probably same for you, you get a carbon bike, and you'd be thinking why am I not going much faster? It's cause its not about the bike.

In a TT, all that aero kit helps abit tho.
  • Its not about the bike but my BMC made a big difference to my racing compared with my allez elite.

My BMC SLX01 is not all carbon. Alu arount the BB for stiffness and Carbon stays.
    I would say the biggest difference is stiffness and power transfer.

Then I bought some shoes with carbon soles, now I feel like im riding a bike from the film Tron!

Yes there is a valid point in not relying on expensive technology to compensate for a lack of fitness but it does help.... except if there is a crash of course when you wish you were riding your alu bike.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:
    I race on my CAAD9, with Aksiums, it is rather quite heavy and it's not limiting me in any way, I just need to improve my fitness. Probably same for you, you get a carbon bike, and you'd be thinking why am I not going much faster? It's cause its not about the bike.

CAAD9 are excellent bikes though, better than most other Al alloy frames and quite a few more expensive carbon frames.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • softlad

it's very difficult to replicate the level of race effort in training though - especially if you ride on your own...
  • freehub
    freehub wrote:

CAAD9 are excellent bikes though, better than most other Al alloy frames and quite a few more expensive carbon frames.

My bike still is heavy, a guy picked it up yesterday and said he must admit, it weighs a ton.
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    seem to have gone off topic somewhat but for what it's worth you can do more with you than any bike upgrade. however if you have the money why not spend it on a better bike? it's your choice.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Thick Tester
    softlad wrote:

it's very difficult to replicate the level of race effort in training though - especially if you ride on your own...

Again your 'Won't' appears stronger than your 'Will'....
  • softlad

did you get that from a motivational poster in the board room..??
  • Thick Tester
    softlad wrote:

did you get that from a motivational poster in the board room..??

No... From my first coach... and before you ask he won an Olympic bronze in 58 alongside a certain Mr Simpson so he knew a thing or two..
  • softlad
    wise words indeed - doesn't alter the reality though, unfortunately.....
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    everyone's right, it's not all about the bike. I'd say ride the alu bike until your confident or have had a couple of crashes, that way you won't be wasting money.

If you have a bit of money to spend, sorry yourself some wheels, light spin up faster so your acceleration should be quicker.

But remember, keep a log of your training, know how fast you're hitting on your current bike. I use a work loop of 25 miles. add in a few variances for the weather and how good your feeling etc. It would be worse to get a new bike and not perform as well as you have done on the old beast.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • RobG100
    Stuntman wrote:
    If you have a bit of money to spend, sorry yourself some wheels, light spin up faster so your acceleration should be quicker.

Yes - I bought some RS-20's for my Allez, made quite a bit of difference compared to the Alexrims that I got with it.

And yes, I apprieciate Its not about the bike, at racing on Thursday, this kid with a Trek Madone 6.9 dropped out ages before I did which shows Its not about the bike. I was just merely wondering why literally everyone has Carbon Bikes if they don't make much difference.
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    Nice buy!

Where is it you're racing?

I think a lot of people get in to biking and the first thing the guy in the shop wants to do is sell something that looks the part and gets him some comission... probably best to sell them a carbon bike as it fits the bill. Plus a lot of people don't want a bike they'll end up upgrading.

I've got a friend who got in to triathlon and cycling, his first bike was a second hand alu which he rode for about 9 months, he then get a carbon Felt TT and then a Carbon Focus Cayo and sold his alu bike which he learnt on.

Whereas, I did my first tri on a hybrid, then got a Specialized transition frame (alu), then a boardman road bike (alu). So 3 years in and I've only just made the move to carbon, only when I found out that my Tri frame was actually too big for me so I got the right size in carbon.

I also diid a couple of Hillingdon's winter races... cold and tough, but on the alu boardman.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • Thick Tester
    Apt that a triaphrodite names himself stuntman.....

Have you learned to ride in straight lines yet ?