Brake adjustment

WelshGiant
WelshGiant Posts: 74
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a giant trance x 4 about 4 weeks ago and have used it alot since i have had it and i have already noticed that the brakes are no where near as sharp as they were when i bought it.

I used it sunday down brecfa and they didnt feel good at all, leaving me with no confidence with them

How often do the brakes need adjusting? Would they just need bleeding or do they just need to bed in?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Are the pads contaminated?

They weren't feeling good how and what brakes are they?

What do you mean by sharp? They didn't have the same initial bite?
  • WelshGiant
    Havent taken the pads out but they look clean.

The brakes are Shimano Alivio hydraulic disc brakes.

I mean not biteing very well, im haveing to pull the brake alot harder to get them to stop as they did when i first got it.

I wouldnt of thought that they would need much adjusting after around 4 week. i have used it a fair bit on red trails with some average descents.
  • peter413
    Check the pads for wear and if they are glazed. They may be contaminated and still look clean.

Do they squeal all the time?
  • WelshGiant
    No the back doesnt at all, but after using the front for a few minutes it does

will take them out and check them tomorrow
  • WelshGiant
    Also the rear brake lever is very slack and i need to pulll it back a fair way for it too bite, is that a sign that they may need bleeding?

Also are the Shimano Alivio hydraulic brakes any good in general?
  • peter413
    Have you removed the wheel lately and have you pushed the pistons back.

If so then they may need to bed in again and that may be what is causing your problem if you put the wheel in slighty squint (its very easy to do)