Your TT position - pics

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    definately alot comfier than the toupe on the TT bike. PB on the club 10 last night by 23 secs!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    What do people use as a saddle offset? i.e. the distance between the bottom bracket to the nose of the saddle? I had ine at 85mm same as road bikes, but I moved it forwards recently by about 15cm and up by 10cm and seem to have hit something of a sweet spot as my speed went up noticeably afterwards. I tried moving it forwards again another 10mm and no improvement. I've notice some riders have the saddle almost vertically above and in line with the BB!
  • a_n_t
    I find myself sitting on the nose of the saddle most of the time so it's slid pretty far forward tbh, not sure of the actual measurements as I'm still tweeking :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    ok, you got me thinking, so using a rudimentary plumb line [a phone charger!] I meaured it.

Saddle nose > center of BB = 15mm'ish.

Probably going to slide it forward more tbh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    Mine is at around 50mm!

I mght try moving it further forward again, just to see how it feels.
  • 72mm for me. I dont even sit on the nose. :shock:

pic coming soon.

anyone tried a noseless saddle?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The UCI limit stipulates that there must be 50mm between centre of BB and tip of saddle.

Fortunately my chances of riding in an event where the UCI will check my bike are pretty slim.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I take it this is saddle 'overhang' you are measuring... IE: measuring back from the nose of the saddle to the BB.
    Not: Measuring forward from the nose of the saddle to the centre of BB.
    I know the latter would require quite a setback on the seat post, but thought I'd clarify... :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hopper1 wrote:
    I take it this is saddle 'overhang' you are measuring... IE: measuring back from the nose of the saddle to the BB.
    Not: Measuring forward from the nose of the saddle to the centre of BB.
    I know the latter would require quite a setback on the seat post, but thought I'd clarify... :oops:

No, setback. The pros have to have 50mm from the nose forwards to the BB.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Morphological exemptions for the 50mm rule are pretty easy to get though if you are less than around 5'8", although even most short Pros will run far more than 50mm.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • hopper1
    edited May 2010
    Damn! That's quite a difference from my comfy road set up...
    Ah well, something else to fcuk with, when I get home... :roll:

EDIT: Probably need to move the seat clamp, which then alters the seat post angle, which then... Awwwww, feck it!
    I wont get checked either. :wink:
    But, I think I'll try to get the 50mm, just to see how different it feels.
  • a_n_t
    erm, nope. The tip of my saddle is 15mm BEHIND the center of the BB.

Am I legal? :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    saddle set back is the difference between the vertical planes of the nose of the saddle and the centre of the BB, with the nose being behind the BB.
    The way to measure it is to use plumb lines and set square or combination of both. I am not sure what the UCI regulations stipulate, but there is an interesting analysis on www.analyticcycling.com
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    anyone tried a noseless saddle?

Yep. They're good for getting right on the tip of, however, if you use one on the TT bike, unless you split your miles evenly between tt bike and road bike, you have to get one for your road bike aswell, or they are so painful. They take a while to get used to but are especially good for being able to push the saddle back to make it uci legal.

To what degree does being aero have and advantage over being higher for power?
  • hopper1
    Ok, guys...
    Three positions for the saddle clamp on my Giant Trinity seat post:
    What degree seat angle does each position equate to? :?
    Presently, it's on the first (front) position, which puts the nose of my saddle about 50mm in front of the BB!
    Would have to go to middle, at least, to get +/- 50mm behind BB.
    Is 76, or 78 degrees best for TTing...
    I know that'll come down to personal preference, but is there a rule of thumb?

Cabbage session over... :roll:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I think ride with whatever feels best for you, some people might prefer a steeper angle. What is best is getting as aero position as possible whilst still being able to put the power out.

As for the seat position, unless you are going to do a UCI TT (and there is only 1 in the UK) then it doesn't matter where it is.
  • hopper1
    SBezza wrote:
    I think ride with whatever feels best for you, some people might prefer a steeper angle. What is best is getting as aero position as possible whilst still being able to put the power out.
    As for the seat position, unless you are going to do a UCI TT (and there is only 1 in the UK) then it doesn't matter where it is.

I agree with you, but there's usually the 'rule of thumb', like KOPS (road bike), that gives us a starting position, from which you develop your own set up.

I wont be doing any UCI events....
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    what is KOPS please?
  • hopper1
    ravey1981 wrote:
    what is KOPS please?

Knee over pedal spindle.
  • ravey1981
    Ah yes of course :oops:

So is there a "rule of thumb" for tt position set up then? I've just started tting on my road bike with profile t2 cobra clip ons which are very adjustable. I can get the front end right down but the problem is getting the seat far enough forward that i don feel all crunched up...if that makes sense...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would say the basic bike rule of thumbs apply. I have a road aero frame as my TT frame, and as such will have a completely different seat angle to a dedicated TT bike, doesn't seem to slow me down.
  • anthonyc
    anthonyc Posts: 2
    Anyone help me improve my TT position on my road bike? I know that it is pretty bad, and hadn't realised my shoulders were so rounded! I've taken all the spacers out, and the stem is flipped downwards.
    For info, I am 58kg, 4.05W/kg FTP, and my best 25m prior to putting aero bars on was 1:06:01. I expect about 1:04:45 best with my position as the picture below.

4719804241_d6168e2d6a.jpg

Thanks.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    You're too high but there's only so much you can do with a road bike, given its size. An angled stem would help.

Go narrower if you can - not all the way in but enough so that your forearms shield your thighs.

And if you can, get a skinsuit. That will save you a lot of time.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • ^ you could get much much lower on the drops if your limited to that bike.

your arms would catch the wind more but you would prob. be more aero.
  • Anthony, you desperately need an adustable stem so that you can get the bars down much much lower. I use one on my TT bike and thats already got a short headtube.
    I don't think round shoulders are a problem, might even help.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hey ho.

Here's a picture from yesterday's race:

KnockburnBike2.jpg

Any comments appreciate!

Cheers, Andy
  • ravey1981
    Re: skinsuits

Where is a good place to get one from...I've looked around online and can only find uber expensive assos ones or plain black ones...

Any pointers appreciated
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Re: skinsuits

Where is a good place to get one from...I've looked around online and can only find uber expensive assos ones or plain black ones...

Any pointers appreciated

Doesn't your club do them?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ravey1981
    Nope, only a small club