I've had water in my camalbak for 2 months

newborn
newborn Posts: 69
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I've not used my hydration pack for about 2 months, the problem is that I forgot to empty it and I know stale water can kill you. Its a camalbak so it has the HydroGuard Anti-Microbial technology. I don't know if I can wash it out and use again or should I buy a new reservoir. Has anyone else had this problem or know what to do.
Cheers
I'll have a slice

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'm pretty sure I've done the same. It probably won't kill you (I don't even really wash mine, other than a quick rinse and dry occasionally) if you just give it a quick wash. Check the tube though, gunk seems to grow a lot there.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Clean it with Milton, should be ok. I've had mold in mine where I forgot to rinse it out and I'm alive.
  • It'll be fine, steralise it with milton or iodine.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    +1 for Milton Fluid. A small £2 bottle will last you years, just add half a capful to the reservoir and fill with water, leave for 15 minutes, empty (via the bite-valve to sterilise that too) and rinse and you're ready to go again.
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    Get a cleaning kit for it, and as said, some Milton tablets.

Where the tube are exposed to light you'll get a nice green build up of gunk.

i couldn't believe how much came out the first time I cleaned it.
  • Paddles
    Paddles Posts: 11
    If you chuck it in the freezer once your done with it, as long as its not totally full, you'll have a mould free camelbak.
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    Empty it, rinse it and fill it with nice fresh water. Simple as that. As long as you only use it for water, and don't fill it with energy drinks, it will be fine.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've left mine half full of energy drink for 6+ months before. Flush with boiling water, put in freezer over night, sorted!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Milton :D

It'll sterilize anything - a bit of mould will be fine. Give it a good old swish about and rinse it properly afterwards (otherwise it'll taste grim). Job done!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Most nasty micro organisms die at around 70degC except for some Gram+'s such as Bacillus Circulan. If your concerned fill it with hot water (not so hot that it melts the bladder though) and rinse with cold
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Duffer wrote:
    Empty it, rinse it and fill it with nice fresh water. Simple as that. As long as you only use it for water, and don't fill it with energy drinks, it will be fine.

Not true. Most of the time it'll be fine but there's some nasty stuff that can come out of tap water. Not likely to cause any problems but it's possible.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I always freeze it, it's so much easier than trying to get every last bit of water out and as said above helps to stop bacteria
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Make sure you give it a good wash. I wouldn't jsut empty it and re-fill it put it that way. But I wouldn't bi it. Good wash out and it'll be fine.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    Just think of it as building up your immune system :wink:
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    rieko wrote:
    Just think of it as building up your immune system :wink:

It'l certainly clear you out. No need for a colonic!
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Milton :roll: . What you need is http://www.chemisphereuk.com/?gclid=CLe ... lAodLzojQw . Never liked the purple stuff, but if your new to things like that its often best to be able to see if its flushed through.

You should see what I use for a degreaser :lol:
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    lol, just bought a bottle of Milton today at asda for camelbak cleaning duties. Was my first time using a hydration pack of any sort this sunday - carried all my repair kit and around 2l of water and hardly noticed i had it on. Won't ever go back to a bottle again i don't think.
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Camelbak support rules :D

Just sent them an email about 2 hours ago asking if they know of any risk to the bladder by freezing them, got a reply just now saying nope they do it all the time :D

I like it when companies respond and doubly so when it;s within a few hours.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    OH NOES!!11!! YOUR GOING TO DIE!!!!111!

only kdding :lol::wink: