Tour of the Black Mountains

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
Hi

Considering this next month as when driving back from the Dragon I thought how nice it looked out that way.

Anyone done this ?
Opinions, experiences ?
How does it compare to the Dragon Ride ? Tougher or easier ?

Thanks
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Hi I did the short course 63 mile Tour of the Black Mountains last year and found it was both well run at the start and enjoyable. I have recommended it this year which probably says something.

On balance I would say that this was a difficult course and having done the medio dragon this year, would say they are on a par. However I was so knackered at the end of the Tour of the Black last year that i cant really remember anything other than the pain!! the tour of the black mountains does have some steeper gradients in it than the Dragon I think.

I am doin it again this year and may jump up to the medium course as I am much fitter. See you there!!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Galatzo wrote:
    Hi

Considering this next month as when driving back from the Dragon I thought how nice it looked out that way.

Anyone done this ?
    Opinions, experiences ?
    How does it compare to the Dragon Ride ? Tougher or easier ?

Thanks

Did it two years ago. It is an excellent ride, one of the best sportives I've done and I would highly recommend it. It is quite different to the Dragon ride in almost every way:

It is tougher - the climbs are siginificantly steeper
    It is in a more remote and a significanlty more attractive section of Wales
    Fewer villages to go through means fewer disruptions and less traffic
    Fewer riders means less pressure on the food stations too.

So it depends on what you want from a sportive really! If you want a huge crowd to ride with on gentle slopes the Dragon ride is what you want. If you want a singnificantly tougher ride in a very beautiful and remote part of Wales, dodging sheep and cattle rather than cars then the TOTBM is perfect. This year it clashes with the Etape so I wont be there but I will be back in 2011!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Thanks
    If I can get up at 5.00 then I'll do it.
    Entry on the line is a bonus.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.