looking to by first carbon road bike

and107
and107 Posts: 55
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Decided to buy myself a carbon road bike my budget isnt fantastic probaly £1200 -£1300
so that rules out the big boys but have been torn between a ribble sportive or a planetx with maybe an update on the spec or even the new nano at a push wondered what you guys think.

I know with the ribble they have about five weeks wait at the moment so might be a factor.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Kingtut87
    Kingtut87 Posts: 105
    It was this time last yast year that I started putting my bike together. Was really temped by a planet x, but ended up scouring the web/ebay and ended up getting a Cinelli WIllin frame half price brand new on ebay, brand new Athena 11 speed groupset with £300 off the RRP and Easton EA50SL wheels with £100. Total build price was £1300 for a bike with a spec much much better (imo) than what I could get off the shelf. If your not in a hurry I'd suggest looking at doing something similar :)
  • and107
    lovely spec wish i could put together one but would probaly fail miserably but will keep looking on ebay thanks for the quick reply. :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd be very wary of ebay. Go with planet x or a boardman and then you have a reputable supplier you can deal with.
  • and107
    yer looking towards planet x as can upgrade the spec would of gone for boardman but had a bad experience with halfords with a bike i bought a couple of years ago would love to get ribble sportive as heard good reports but the long build time i have heard other people report on here puts me off a bit .

hmm think i just answered my own question
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    What about a Dolan Mythos? http://www.dolan-bikes.co.uk/mythos.html
  • and107
    nice looking bike although i think the planet x is slightly better specced for about the same money but thanks for the input
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I've bought of this guy (Chris's Bikes) before in Cambridge, he usually has some great deals on Giant bikes, and frankly, went to a lot of trouble for me when I bought my Giant there. I'm usually checking his offers page just in case, spotted this Giant TCR advanced 4 for £1400:

http://www.chrisbikes.co.uk/bike_specia ... 0812595824

Not sure of that fits the bill, I know it's a bit over your budget, but perhaps he'll flex :)

Review here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 4-10-37905
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    and107 wrote:
    yer looking towards planet x as can upgrade the spec would have gone for boardman but had a bad experience with halfords with a bike i bought a couple of years ago would love to get ribble sportive as heard good reports but the long build time i have heard other people report on here puts me off a bit .

hmm think i just answered my own question
    i wouldnt miss out because of that. youl love the bike.get it in a box and build it yourself.having said that i saw the halfords bike guy on his way home doing a hundred yard wheely out the carpark, i think he knows his stuff.
  • and107
    nice looking bike that giant thanks for the heads up although probaly over my budget