Rear derailleur issues - Cube Ltd Comp 2010

marc5800
marc5800 Posts: 5
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Had my Cube now for around 3 months and so far so good! Recently I got a puncture in the rear tyre and replaced this but ever since I am having big issues with my Rear derailleur.

Everytime I set the tension and levels I use the Park Tools guide for help if I go on a ride later on the derailleur will start jamming as such!

I have rang up the shop I got the bike from for advice but all I got was this is normal!!! Somehow I don't think this is due to when receiving the bike I could select all gears from every crank, now I can only get a 1/3 of each gears.
Should I be able to get all gears from every crank ?

If anyone could give me some advice or is it just don to keep testing and changing the settings?

Thanks, Marc

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Middle everything.

Large outer ring - defo not the biggest cog on the rear possibly one down,

Small/granny - all bar the smallest rear cog again possibly the one up too.

It sounds like you've not done the stoppers correctly?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    do you mean "should I be able to select all nine rear gears from all three of the front rings?"

if so...then maybe....but it gives you a bad chain line and there is some overlap in the ratios between the 27, so probably no real need.

in a 9 speed setup, even though there are 27 possible combinations...this really only gives you about 12 different gear ratios.

so granny ring...use 1 2 and 3 4 at the back.
    middle ring...use 3 4 5 6 7
    big ring use 6 7 8 9.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Read the FAQ on gears and how to use them.
  • not wanting to state the obvious but! id the rear wheel sat in its drop out correctly??
    no reason why if so that the mech has started to play up, should be able to take the wheel in and out loads of times without it effecting the mech!
    i'd check that before anything else, also could be possible that what caused the puncture say a large stick/root etc, may have made contact with your mech and possibly bent the mech hanger,

as for how many of the gears can you select, if you have 27 you should be able to select all 27, its Not advisable to Use some combo's though! big abd big, small and small etc. but you should be able to get all the gears, the chain will more than likely rub in those combo's mind but should get them all,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • marc5800
    marc5800 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Been on a 15 mile ride today and it must be my set up as the hanger is not damaged. I shouldnt of loosend the derailluer when taking the tyre off (I have no idea why I did)

I will have a play around with the high and low screws again and keep testing it until I am happy.

There was rubbing when I could select all gears so I may opt for your advice on the gear selection ratios.

Cheers for the advice all. Really want to sort these isues out myself at home so I get better understanding.