Phantom Flats?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Why, when riding, do you have those moments where you could swear that you have a flat/puncture only to find that the suspect tyre is perfectly fine?

It doesn't happen all the time, but it's something that I have always found very weird. Is it just me?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, done that before, when I'm sure the tyre is going down and I can feel it almost rolling off the rim. So stop to check it out and it's fine. But if you don't stop, you trick yourself into thinking there's a problem so end up being 'sure' that the pressure going right down which is even more confusing when you stop and check it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Your nont alone, I get this.

I think I have a puncture and look back at the rear wheel through my legs and somehow convince myself that its flat/going down, then shout to my ridng buddy to hold up, then of course, get off the bike and all is ok!

Maybe its just the angle that I look at it on the bike that convinces me.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I use it mostly as an excuse when I'm tired, "I must have a slow puncture" - No its just me knackered.
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Ha, I'm not the only one, I get this so many times! I do get so many punctures as well though so I just put it down to me being paranoid.