Good wheels for 500 quid?

slow turner
slow turner Posts: 58
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
Whats a good pair of wheels for £500 roughly, im currently using my standard shimano wh-r550, and i want to upgrade and use my current wheels for training and the new pair for racing.

Thank you
Arran
Carpe Diem

Comments

• Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    What type of racing ?
    Tubs? Clinchers?
    Material?
    How Heavy are you ?
    Campag or Shim ?
  • Sorry, Road racing, clinchers, material i dont mind, i weigh 82kg and shimano
    Thank you
    Arran
    Carpe Diem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    These then...

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... heels.html

Nowt else comes close!!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Although the RS80s are 100g heavier and review really well. Apparently have the same rim but an Ultegra hub, so the added weight isn't overly critical. A cheeky £185 saving too.

Merlin's even threw in a pair of Pro Race 3 tyres. Shazam!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    GiantMike wrote:
    Although the RS80s are 100g heavier and review really well. Apparently have the same rim but an Ultegra hub, so the added weight isn't overly critical. A cheeky £185 saving too.

Merlin's even threw in a pair of Pro Race 3 tyres. Shazam!

Different spokes (not the cycling based 70's family comedy starring now deceased Gary Coleman) and different skewers too...
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    If you've got £500 to throw at wheels, get some decent handbuilts rather than chase round years later on aftermarket spokes for old factory wheels...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Or buy your spare spokes at the same time as you buy your factory wheels, it's what I always do anyway.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I will shortly have a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero (less than 1 yr old) in red, never raced, never crashed, for sale at around that mark. Come with Campag and Shimano body (I could swap them over if required)

PM me if you're interested :)
  • LJAR
    LJAR Posts: 128
    Buy a 2nd hand powertap.

That will have a much better long term effect on your performance.