Knackered seal on my Avid Juicy 3

chedabob
chedabob Posts: 1,133
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've managed to damage the secondary seal on my front brake. The seal is now bulging outwards, and there's a tiny bit of grease that leaked out. Brake still works fine. Should I try and fix it, or would I be better off just getting a new front brake? It's looking like it'll cost at least £10 for a new seal, £30 for a bleed kit, and possibly more if there's more damage than just that seal.

Comments

• JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    CRC are doing brand new Juicy 3's for £50 for the 2009 model.....
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    secondary seal?

which one is that? the rubber gaiter where the push rod enters the lever? or the second seal in the master cylinder, the O ring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    It's below the snap-ring.

This is the broken one:

http://imgur.com/XF6HN.jpg

It's the thing that surrounds where the grease is leaking from.

For reference this is the non-broken one:

http://i.imgur.com/mQT3j.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Mmm

Ok under the C clip is a mettal wash that holds the pushrod in place. In contact with a plastic body that has two rubber seals on it.

there is very likely to be grease on the bed of the body that touches the push rod.

the piston body looks a bit like.

img1817xs3.th.jpg

but without the snap feature.

better pic in a moment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    juicy3.jpg

there you go.
  • chedabob
    Ok, so do I just need to replace the snap ring and the washer?
  • nicklouse
    why? you say the brakes work fine.

or is this the case where you had a crash an pulled the lever forward?

if so why not but be aware that things may jump out at you when you remove the C clip and a bleed kit will be needed.
  • chedabob
    Yeah this is from the crash. I'm not sure if the levers were pulled forward (they bent down towards the floor), but I guess the front one must have been if it's bent the washer.

I just don't want to ignore it and have problems in the future, but if it's just the washer, I'll be alright?
  • nicklouse
    personally i would leave it