Clubs that arent race / TT orientated ?

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
I was looking at the 2 local clubs near where I live , the ards and north down ones. their calendar is very race and time trial focussed, unfortunately i have no interest in those disciplines. If i joined a club , it would be to participate in circa 60 mile club rides.

Is there a specific type of club that is more club ride orientated ?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    join the CTC...
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    JimmyK wrote:
    I was looking at the 2 local clubs near where I live , the ards and north down ones. their calendar is very race and time trial focussed, unfortunately i have no interest in those disciplines. If i joined a club , it would be to participate in circa 60 mile club rides.

I think most large-ish cycling clubs are more club ride-oriented than you might think. My own club (Cambridge) is very much road-race/TT to the casual eye, but the reality is that the vast majority of members are there for the club runs and never race.

I had a quick look at the websites and Ards does look very race oriented (although this could just mean one of the road race people does the website), but North Down looks broader. Even their faster run has a tea stop - my club's fastest race-training run doesn't, which is a warning :wink:
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    nmcgann wrote:
    JimmyK wrote:

I think most large-ish cycling clubs are more club ride-oriented than you might think. My own club (Cambridge) is very much road-race/TT to the casual eye, but the reality is that the vast majority of members are there for the club runs and never race.

I had a quick look at the websites and Ards does look very race oriented (although this could just mean one of the road race people does the website), but North Down looks broader. Even their faster run has a tea stop - my club's fastest race-training run doesn't, which is a warning :wink:

The Cambridge club is excellent.

Caters for pretty much anyone.

Just a shame it's pan flat everywhere...
  • JimmyK
    does anybody else here also have no interest in racing or tt and is only a club member for club rides ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JimmyK wrote:
    does anybody else here also have no interest in racing or tt and is only a club member for club rides ?

I suggest most are!

My club does a lot of TTs and races but there is always a big turnout for the club runs.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    JimmyK wrote:
    You're askng the question in the 'Training' section of the forum. But my guess is that the vast majority of non-racing cyclists never reckon that they ever 'train'. They ride their bikes for pleasure, to keep fit, to explore new areas, to commute, but are unlikely to be interested in turbo training, 2x20mins intervals or their lactate threshold................ so basically I think you're asking the above question in the wrong place.

I totally agree with some of the comments above - yes, a small proportion of clubs are mainly racing-based, but many traditional cycling clubs cater for a wide range of interests. My club has over 150 members and probably fewer than 20 regularly race. The rest just enjoy riding their bikes in whatever way they choose, long distances, short distances, fast, slow, touring, commuting, club rides, sportives, audaxes.

My suggestion is to contact the club and ask how it would be best to get involved. If they say "come out on a club run with us" then obviously their main emphasis is on non-competitive club riding. If the answer is "come along to the evening 10-mile TT and have a go" then maybe that's where the main interests lie in the club and you'd be better off elsewhere.

Ruth
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    You're askng the question in the 'Training' section of the forum. But my guess is that the vast majority of non-racing cyclists never reckon that they ever 'train'. They ride their bikes for pleasure, to keep fit, to explore new areas, to commute, but are unlikely to be interested in turbo training, 2x20mins intervals or their lactate threshold................ so basically I think you're asking the above question in the wrong place.

Jimmy has a special Bikeradar account that only allows posting in the training section...

....well it seems that way, because he only ever posts in the training section no matter what it's about.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JimmyK
    which forum is this question better suited to then ?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    JimmyK wrote:
    which forum is this question better suited to then ?

beginners, cake stop, take yer pick..
  • Richard891
    Richard891 Posts: 34
    Hi Jimmy, I think you'll find that the core actvity in most "racing/TT orientated clubs" is actually circa 60 mile club runs! :D

I'd say over half the members of my club participate only in club runs and liesure rides.

In fact that's what I joined my club for but I was encouraged by other members to try the club races etc. and have never looked back and get so much more out of now that an element of competition has been introduced.
  • JimmyK
    its the back slapping element of races and tt that doesnt interest me at all, the not getting too easily dropped by the leading pack in a club ride and the craic would be a lot more enjoyable for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JimmyK wrote:
    its the back slapping element of races and tt that doesnt interest me at all, the not getting too easily dropped by the leading pack in a club ride and the craic would be a lot more enjoyable for me.

wtf.gif
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Come on Nap - don't tell me you've never got fed up with the back slapping element.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    After moving home recently I took the plunge and joined my local club. I also have no interest in racing or TT-ing, but only want to turn out for club runs, and it's been great so far. The members looked out for me as a newbie and the rides have been very well organised.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    JimmyK wrote:
    its the back slapping element of races and tt that doesnt interest me at all...........
    C'mon then JimmyK, tell us what you mean by 'back slapping'. I think it's fair to say none of us have a Scooby Doo what you're on about.

Ruth
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    why join a club when you have an argument with yourself every 5 minutes? :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen