Getting dropped

jola
jola Posts: 3
Hello, I've been doing the local group ride-5k on a circular, mostly flat course-we ride for either 10 laps or 1 hr, 30-50 riders.
for 2 months I've been able to stay with the group, now the last 3 times i get dropped between laps 3-6, i don't feel overtrained. whre's my mojo?
thanks to all-jola

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Are they getting faster or are you getting slower?

Have you started making more effort, or taking longer turns on the front?
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Are you blowing up just riding along in the group or is it a particular place like on a hill sprint or as they surge out of a corner?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Have a rest.
  • Well first of all does the group feel faster ?

If there are some new guys in the group have they raised the pace a bit? that might be the reason.
    If not then your body is trying to tell you something I agree with Freehub have a rest, maybe only go out on your own for a while to make sure your not over doing it.
    pulse meter should help you with that.

Your either not going well and like you say lost your mojo or the others in the group are going better than usual.

Protect yourself form over training or worse training when you are actually ill

it's either time for easing off for a while or a complete rest.

Make steps now to look after you body or potentially face the reality of going even worse if you keep trying when your body doesn't want to .
  • jola
    jola Posts: 3
    Shmo wrote:
    Are you blowing up just riding along in the group or is it a particular place like on a hill sprint or as they surge out of a corner?

Thanks for the replies, It seems that I can't handle more than a 3-5 surges -usually coming out of corners. One in particular leads into a slight downhill and speeds get between 35-38mph. Keep in mind i'm just sitting on in the middle to upper third of the group, a complete wheel sucker!
    Maybe a rest is the answer, not what i want to hear but maybe what is needed.
    thanks to all, jola
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    jola wrote:
    Shmo wrote:

Thanks for the replies, It seems that I can't handle more than a 3-5 surges -usually coming out of corners. One in particular leads into a slight downhill and speeds get between 35-38mph. Keep in mind i'm just sitting on in the middle to upper third of the group, a complete wheel sucker!
    Maybe a rest is the answer, not what i want to hear but maybe what is needed.
    thanks to all, jola
    A rest maybe the answer if you're fatigued. Too much rest will loose you fitness of course. Most people are coming up to peak fitness so group rides will be real pacey affairs. The fact you're holding wheels well but get dropped after repeated surges means your threshold power needs to be raised. So tempo rides, threshold intervals, vo2max efforts, probably the best way to do this.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    evryone is different... surges like you describe I am fine with... it is the short nasty full on blats up an incline that, frankly, I am crap at.
    All attempts to improve are again, frankly, not working at the moment either.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I was gonna say that more interval work might help but Toks said it better than me. Those group rides might be making you really efficient at riding fast at a steady pace but not giving you enough sprints and hard efforts to bring on the strength.

I find it's only really possible to get those repeated 100% efforts when training on my own, but even then it's difficult on the road because you need to keep a level of awareness and also knowing that you've 20 more miles to get home makes it tempting to hold back. Those Sufferfest videos for the turbo are really good especially the downward spiral one, but then who wants to be training indoors in the summer.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Or just stick some superlight inner tubes under some Veloflex Records for MORE ACCELERATION :wink:

No, really what you want is to use something at the end of your ride like the Formby By-Pass (a mile from home for me) to attack so hard that your hearing and vision become blurred - sorry if this sounds hardcore but I'm led to believe that Olympic rowers sometimes train to this extent. Just make sure you can see for the required distance in front of you :P

It's not just on structured training rides you'll be forced to do this - our clubrun last Sunday finished with individuals spread out all over Dark Lane on the way back to Ormskirk. But even though I couldn't catch the person in front and was way ahead of the one behind, adrenaline and an "Army Mentality" meant that I wasn't easing off. And then I kept hammering it all the way home too.

Hardcore is GOOD :twisted:
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    getting droped it will not hapen,do i look like ive got rocks in my head
    going downhill slowly
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    bexley5200 wrote:
    getting droped it will not hapen,do i look like ive got rocks in my head

Yes