top speed

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited June 2010 in MTB general
This has porbably been done loads of times before or there is some unwriten rule about it, but i am curious. what has been your top speed on a MTB?
I'm new, so only 35mph on an empty footpath (i didn't know at the time until i got to the bottom and saw the massive "NO BIKES" sign). I want to go faster but i'm too much of a wuss after my last crash, it didnt even hurt but still, twas a knock of confidance.

Comments

• 50mph down Mastiles Lane waaay back in the day. When I was young(er) stupid and didn't have a mortgage to pay!
    John Stevenson
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    I have hit 45mph on the road on my mountain bike, with full offroad tyres etc. Does get quite scary when your going so quick, rather fun though. Would love to hit some big hills on a road bike see how quick you can really get.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Apart from when my GPS misread and I did a section at 92mph, my "real" top end is 39mph off road, not really looked on road.

I've probably done more than 39mph, but I guess it doesn't count if you end up going faster than the bike! :)

Back in my road racing days, I did 67mph, and bloody shat myself when it was time to slow down! :shock:
    Craig Rogers
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Top speed that I can recall is 47mph, I remember it well because i was looking at the computer when i should have been looking where I was going, didn't see a slight bend in the road and hit a dry-stone wall. A broken arm was the result (and bent forks, trashed wheel). This was in 1997 on a fully rigid with cantilever brakes coming down the road section off Stockdale Lane, Yorkshire Dales. Tend to stick to around 35mph these days though...
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I overtook a BMW the other day doing 37 MPH. Was well happy :)
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I was doing 35mph on a road without pedaling. There was a car stuck behind me for about 5 minutes because they couldn't safely overtake me :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    48mph on the MTB down Hermit Hill in Sheffield, and was brown trousers time.

Most I know of is 68mph down Rutland Rd in Sheffield.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    I just Google Street'ed Rutland Road.... steep!

I can't wait to have a go of Penrhys Hill! Have a look at that on Google Street. If you search it, then click C on the map and then zoom in and stick the orange man on that road, it's a biggy!
  • supersonic
    Are some insane hills in Sheff - some very steep and short, some long ie Jawbone Hill [Oughtibridge Lane]

On Jawbone you have to brake to stop yourself emtying your bowels hehe.

5716263.jpg

822734_d76b6461.jpg
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i regualrily hit 30+ on a big road hill near me.... well at least it must be 30+ cuz i overtake the cars and they are going min of 30.... :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    About 45mph or 72km/h is my latest "record". Was down a very steep road, no pedaling (I don't think I have enough gears even if I wanted to... :lol: ), with my current mtb with my nose almost touching the front wheel for aerodynamics. 8)
  • wormball
    wormball Posts: 14

Crazy guy what with all the cars stopping/doing uturns to checkout/pickup hookers!

I think you'd get the fastest going down Hag Hill :)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Fastest for me was 48mph according to the cateye, (not GPS), so probably not entirely accurate. Although it was a well calibrated Cateye.

Very steep, very long, very smooth road. I could easily get that up by another 10mph if there was something to draft :twisted:
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    46mph down a massive hill near me, a guy on a moped was struggling to keep up :) could of gone faster but brown trousers time as I nearly had an off
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I managed the high 40s a few times when I was a fair bit younger, had less fear, and bounced better. I usually couldn't tell exactly what I hit- eyes were watering too much!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited June 2010
    The fastest I've recorded was 39 mph on my cycle computer before spinning out but I think I must have smashed that coming back down the Whinlatter pass last year after a day at the Altura Trail.

I have no doubts that you can easily hit 45- 50mph, the road dips quite steeply a couple of hundred yards past the entrance to Whinlatter forest. You can feel the bike accelerate into the dip and then compress as you hit the bottom of the dip,highly reccomended :D
  • 49mph down ditchling beacon - bike was wobbling quite a bit too!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There's no proper hills by me, so 40mph+ is just a dream, but I've hit at least 35mph on a number of occasions.
    Hill + top gear + head right down + spinning like a maniac = comedy when cars overtake me in a 30 zone past a speed camera!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ive hit 45+ on a local road with a small bridge at the bottom, decided one to jump it, cleared it as well, but shat myself in the process.

on a local rocky farmtrack you can easily hit 35-40mph, altho the fastest part is on a super loose gravel turn so it takes balls of steel to hit it flat out. needless to say i do it everytime :lol:
  • supersonic
    wormball wrote:

Crazy guy what with all the cars stopping/doing uturns to checkout/pickup hookers!

I think you'd get the fastest going down Hag Hill :)

Haha, see you know the area! Hagg Hill is the steepest road in Sheff as far as I know.
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    You lot have balls! ;D 40-50mph? :| hahaha awesome!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    42mph with a good tail wind off st cathrines hill into niton, iow. my legs could'nt spin any faster :P
  • gazer
    gazer Posts: 33
    i live on the top of this hill

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... a=N&tab=wl

so i hit 45+ every time i head out only problem is theres a right turn ath the bottom, its clench your cheeks time going round it at 37mph+

Gareth

exercise.png
  • wormball
    wormball Posts: 14
    Haha, see you know the area! Hagg Hill is the steepest road in Sheff as far as I know.

err.... I use to work round there... honest :D

There's even a nice stone wall at the bottom of Hag Hill to slow you down
  • supersonic
    I sometimes play darts in the pub at the bottom of Rutland, the Forrest: are in the local league. You can see all the ladies on their way to work lol.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I clocked 41mph dropping down into Devil's Elbow weekend just gone
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    fastest i recorded with a cycle computer was on the road at 46mph....

heading back down the A702 from floterstone to edinburgh..

here. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&saf ... a=N&tab=wl

noticed the speed before going round the corner at the green arrow.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Fastest on a push bike was 48 on a dirt forest track somewhere on the North York Moors. It was a good few years - the tracks I usually ride in the Peaks aren't really that fast on the downhills.
    Fastest on 2 wheels is 175mph on a Fireblade. :lol::lol:
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Don't have a computer on the mountain bike, however, last outing on the road bike produced 48mph...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    HIt 42.3mph off-road on a lovely grassy undulating hill off the top of the Mendips the other day - one of my first rides on my fancy new full suspension rig - felt GORGEOUS!!

When I was younger I regularly used to do over 50mph on the roads, overtaking cars... could feel the bike flex if I hit the catseyes!

When trying to break my own speed records, I'd wear nothing but a pair of lycra shorts... no T-shirt, no helmet..... Jeeeeeeez when I think of it now..... (shudder)