Trek framesets

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if I could get just a Trek frameset from my LBS? My 1.2 frame was written off in a crash, but all the componentry is still in good working order so am thinking about upgrading the frame and swapping over all the parts...

When the insurance pays out (got an invoice from my LBS to say it is beyond repair and worth £600) I could afford a better frame than the 1.2. I like the look of the 2.1 and it retails as a complete bike for £1,000, so less the Shimano 105 groupset and Bontrager wheels, bars and seatpost how much do you reckon it would cost?

I also like the look of the Madone 4.7. RRP £2,100 - What would this be as just a frameset if the transmission is Shimano Ultegra, Bontrager Race Wheelset and Bontrager stem and bars?

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Should be able to but think Trek have this thing about their bikes most only be built up by their approved dealers. So as long as your LBS actually stock Trek you should be ok
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Yeah, I thought that. Trek told me on Twitter that they don't sell framesets as framesets as it's "better value" for the whole package (unless like me, the frame is the only part you need!) but pretty sure my LBS would sell me just the frame, as I have a pretty strong relationship with the shop
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Does anyone know if I could get just a Trek frameset from my LBS?

Maybe a question for your LBS? Why did you not ask them when you were in getting your old frame valued? Who is your LBS?