Carbon 456 (Updated 09/09, pg5)

Beardface
Beardface Posts: 5,495
edited October 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Well, after the waiting, the Carbon 456 arrived yesterday.. I've not had much of a chance to get much done to it yet and have a busy week ahead, but will add to this when I can!

Heres the frame:
29w7qkl.jpg

Edit (17/06/10) How its currently looking:
v4xk5s.jpg

Spec, to start off with, shall roughly be:

18" On One Carbon 456 Frame (3.3lbs, although feels much lighter!)
2009 RS Revelation 426 Dual Air (140mm)
Hope Pro2 hubs on Mavic XM317 rims.
Schwalbe Nobby Nics F&R
Shimano XT Cranks, shifters, front & rear mechs
(Red KCNC jockey wheels in rear mech)
Answer Carbon riser bars
Fsa stem (with carbon front plate)
Avid Juicy Carbon brakes, with A2Z rotors (180f, 160r)
Red Superstar grips and seat clamp
FSA seatpost
Specialized BG Saddle
Camo flat pedals

I do plan to change the seat/post/clamp and pedals (not in pic) asap, possibly get a shorter stem, and maybe some 2011 fox 36's if funds allow when I go to America later this year.. :)

Anyway, apologies for the pics, I'm at work, it's the best I have at the moment! Let me know what you think! :D First impressions, I'm chuffed!! (And the frame looks amazing in person too) :D:D

Comments

• alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    That does look pretty nice. I'm still a bit undecided about that frame, I think i need to see one in person then maybe i'd like it more.

Have you had the chance to ride it yet?
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    Just out of curiosity, is this the only decal option available at the moment? Or can you get it with different decals? I remember seeing on the on one website a load of different decals that they where thinking of offering.

Looks nice though, all thought I think some colour on the frame in the forms of decals would make it a winner. Very stealthy at the moment though (black forks would finish off the stealth look)
  • Beardface
    Alex, thanks.. it does look much nicer in person, the frame almost shimmers due to the carbon.. :D

Not had a chance to ride it yet, pretty busy with work etc this week, still waiting on a few small bits to arrive, so shall hopefully have it fully built and ready for a ride this weekend.. I'll update about the ride etc as soon as poss!

I did sit on it and roll last night though, and it feels like it's ready for a hammering, really sturdy but really light!
  • Beardface
    Just out of curiosity, is this the only decal option available at the moment? Or can you get it with different decals? I remember seeing on the on one website a load of different decals that they where thinking of offering.

Looks nice though, all thought I think some colour on the frame in the forms of decals would make it a winner. Very stealthy at the moment though (black forks would finish off the stealth look)

Toby, this is the only offering at the moment, but there will be other choices soon (I think!) The bit on the website was for the customers to have a say.. but yea, I agree with the stealth look, and love it so far.. little hints of red throughout are planned too!

And yea, black forks would finish it right off.. I'm looking about as we speak :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    no, keep the white forks.... they just lift it a little, black forks would make it look like a funeral bike....

:lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Beardface
    no, keep the white forks.... they just lift it a little, black forks would make it look like a funeral bike....

:lol:

:lol: Maybe thats what I'm going for!! :P

But yea, not had those forks long, and do love them, so if I can make the white work, I will.. otherwise, I'll be hunting down some black 36's..

Maybe once the cranks/mech etc are all on, it won't look quite as stealthy.. we'll see!
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    white forks, seatpost, bars and rims.

proper contrast colours!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Beardface
    M1llh0use wrote:
    white forks, seatpost, bars and rims.

proper contrast colours!

Not a bad idea mate, but I'll be keeping bars and seatpost carbon.. I'll consider the rims though, I know the Spank rims are a good price on Superstar at the moment, so could be tempted!
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    Growing on me, sorely temped to look at one of these, mine would be Pace forks for more carbon blackness :twisted:
  • Beardface
    eddyesi wrote:
    Growing on me, sorely temped to look at one of these, mine would be Pace forks for more carbon blackness :twisted:

Sigh.. if only I had the funds....

DTSwiss-EXC150-med-399-75.jpg

The DT's would be on there in a flash!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Great looking frame, growing on me too (slowly). You build is inspired, spot on.
    Did you weigh the frame ? I would be interested to know the actual real world weight.
  • Beardface
    nickfrog wrote:
    Great looking frame, growing on me too (slowly). You build is inspired, spot on.
    Did you weigh the frame ? I would be interested to know the actual real world weight.

Thanks Nick :D In person it looks even better! Shall get better pics when its fully built, hopefully they'll show it!

I only have bathroom scales, and they're not the best, but it showed at a shade over 3lbs on there, so I'd say they're pretty spot on with the weight.. hope that helps a bit?

I'm not building this to be the lightest bike in the world though, given its capabilities!
    Edit: Although the lighter the better!!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Cool. On-one say the frame is for 100-160mm forks. That seems a huge difference. I wonder how they can optimise the frame for such diverse travels ? Does anyone know ?
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    Stav83 wrote:
    eddyesi wrote:

Sigh.. if only I had the funds....The DT's would be on there in a flash!

Mine are only well used RC40's, ebay a set for £150 ish, or keep an eye out on the pace site, appear for <£400 occasionally

STW claims 1450g for the 18" frame masured
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    that looks really good. like the stealth look

are you keeping the MV?
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    ah it appears, the long awaited Carbon version of the 456, awaiting to see how this turns out. I love the black decals on black paint work :) ideas... ideas... humm!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    im hoping they do a lime green one 8)
  • Beardface
    edited June 2010
    that looks really good. like the stealth look

are you keeping the MV?

Cheers James, and sadly no, the MV frame has gone to a new better home in Wales! I've always been a hardtail fan more than FS, but thought I'd try a full sus in the Marin.. don't get me wrong, loved it, but I wasn't using the rear travel to its potential.. so, back to my hardtail roots!

Only got a little bit more done last night, but its looking more rideable by the day! Shall chuck a pic up when I get the chance today.

Cheers for all the comments so far, and yea, I'd maybe consider another if lime green came out!! :lol:

Shall keep hold of this frame forever though.. my first foray into carbon, and its one of the first batch, so to me that makes it kinda special!

Edit: Cheers for the info too Eddyesi, I did look at the RC40's, and was very tempted, but have heard they can be a bit hit and miss?
  • Beardface
    :oops: Double post :oops:
  • Beardface
    What?

Jealous?

Me?

Of course not?

you cnut!

:lol::lol::lol: You know you want one.. :wink:

Hoping to get it all done by this weekend, so shall be able to let you know initial thoughts on the ride etc next week :D
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    What are your initial thoughts on the quality of finish on the frame?

The poor finish seems to be peoples main issue with the other frames from on-one. So I'm interested to hear about this.

Any chance of some high quality close-ups?

Looking good BTW, I looks forward to seeing the finished item, and hearing about how it rides compared to the regular 456.
  • Beardface
    A few more pics, only managed to get the cranks, front mech and brakes on last night, and am off to see Jimmy Carr tonight, so won't get anything else done until friday!

Red jockey wheels arrived today too, so I have everything now at home to complete the build, just need to find the time! :D

2mdf4ep.jpg

2qk13ra.jpg

And CWNT, this is the only close up one I have at the moment (at work), but you can see the finish, although it looks much much better in person.. I think it's brilliant though mate, in fact, very similar carbon finishing to my mates Whyte E-120.. so far, seems they've done a lot better with this finish than their steelies.. I'm definitely impressed.. hope that helps a bit?

zkjv40.jpg

I'll crack the macro lens out when the build is done, just for you dude :wink: (and if you're ever in Hampshire, let me know, you can take it for a spin yourself).
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    That looks like the Airwolf of the MTB world!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Very nice!!!!!!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Beardface
    Kiblams wrote:
    That looks like the Airwolf of the MTB world!

:lol::lol::lol: Dude, you've made my day! Now thats a compliment!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've had to send my pikes off for a service so my 456 is currently in bits... but I cannot wait to get on it! the weight is astonishing, the difference between the steel and carbon is unreal!
  • Beardface
    I've had to send my pikes off for a service so my 456 is currently in bits... but I cannot wait to get on it! the weight is astonishing, the difference between the steel and carbon is unreal!

Agreed mate.. the weight of this frame is unreal, I actually thought they had sent me an empty box to start with!! :lol:

Only really had a quick blast on the steel 456 (friend had one), and was pretty impressed, but yea, it was a heavy beast! Yours looks great by the way, loving the build.. I assume you're a big on-one fan, judging by your sig... :wink:
  • mattyk
    mattyk Posts: 1
    Hey guys.

We're going to be demoing these at Mountain Mayhem this weekend, so check out the site if you want to book a ride.

We're also giving one away for free.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/06/16/test-ride-carbon-456-at-mountain-mayhem[/url]
  • Beardface
    nickfrog wrote:

Nickfrog, just had a look about, other people have quoted between 1432 and 1450g for frame only on proper scales (which included the plastic bungs in BB and seat tube) - hope that helps :D