iPhone GPX import and tracking app

jteighty
jteighty Posts: 120
edited June 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm looking for an app that I can use on my iPhone 3GS which would allow me to import gpx files, download maps (so doesn't use Internet when I'm abroad) and has a gps tracker with the cursor being in the form of a pointer (so I can see which direction I'm facing).

I've tried trails and Everytrail but they both have their disadvantages. Trails didn't have good reception and the map section I need (with all the zoom levels) was 40gb (that's what it claimed but it seems far too big to be true-it's only London to Paris). ! Everytrail doesn't have a pointer as it uses the iPhone maps and therefore you can't tell which way your facing.

Battery life isn't important as I'll carry a battery extender pack with me which enables me
to charge up twice before it loses it's juice.

Any suggestions?

Thank in advance.

JT80

Comments

• Craig8701
    Craig8701 Posts: 15
    Just photocopy or print the maps you need in advance and take them with you. I have found this is better than trying to use the iphone for directions. If you stick the maps to the bars you don’t need to get off the bike, while to check on the phone you really need to stop as the screen is small and hard to read in bright sun. Also you don’t want to take your phone out to much if it is raining cats and dogs.

The iPhone is good but I would keep it as a back up plan for navigation.

Hope the trip goes well.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I don't know of one that does what you want. OpenMaps allows you to download maps from OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap and i've found it useful - although a wee bit cranky. CityMap2Go is extremely useful and well worth buying although, as you'd expect from the name, it is only useful for city maps (of which there are stacks). it's also pretty clevervat working out where you are!
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    http://www.viewranger.com/

Does Exactly what you want.

Tux
  • jteighty
    Craig8701 wrote:
    Just photocopy or print the maps you need in advance and take them with you. I have found this is better than trying to use the iphone for directions. If you stick the maps to the bars you don’t need to get off the bike, while to check on the phone you really need to stop as the screen is small and hard to read in bright sun. Also you don’t want to take your phone out to much if it is raining cats and dogs.

The iPhone is good but I would keep it as a back up plan for navigation.

Hope the trip goes well.

I more or less know the route by heart bt jst want to have something to follow when I get into towns. I'll keep my phone in my jersey pocket so it's accessible at all times. I'll bring paper maps too in the case of emergency. I don't know where I'd attach a map to my handle bars as have dropped handle bars..

Thanks for the advice though..
  • jteighty
    tuxpoo wrote:
    http://www.viewranger.com/

Does Exactly what you want.

Tux

thanks but it seems pretty pricey :(

have you heard of motionx? It's got great reviews n it's only £1.79..it doesn't have is maps tho..