New in Swindon - Upgrade or replace advice needed

Scooter12345
Scooter12345 Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there, just found the Croft MTB track in Swindon just half a mile from my door! Credit to the guys who have put in time and effort in creating a great track! Trouble is my suntour suspension is not up to the job. I Have a Felt Q220 introductory bike which has served me well for the daily commute but not really up to xc. Should I upgrade the forks etc or replace?? I like the riding position, the brakes (although mech) seem to be fine. The gear stuff seems fine, I'm in my forties so probably want be breaking word records but would like some kit that works underneath me!
Any observations greatly appreciated

Comments

• CraziScot
    CraziScot Posts: 66
    Croft is a good little belt, not sure about upgrade advice but there are plenty of deals to be found on forks online. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with better advice.

As your Swindon based, check out http://www.settingascene.com its a forum for riders from Swindon/Chippenham and the surrounding area. We have regular weekly rides, varying from Croft through to the Ridgeway. Plus weekend rides to the trail centres etc.
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Hi Scooter,

Im a Fellow "SettingAScener" and happened to come across your plea for help (not realising Crazi Scot had already recommended us as a local ride group)

As for upgrading your stead, firstly i would set yourself a "budget" for some forks, as the world of forks can quite easily jump from 80-90 upto 800-900 for a set.

Personally i have a set of Suntour XCR on my hard tail, and Fox Talas R36 on my FSR.

Also decide what your riding is most suited to. if you prefer Road, or minor track (similar to Canal work) then 100mm is ideal where as if your looking at the more burly trails and trail centres such as Cwmcarn etc, then 120+ would be more ideal.

Im more than happy to give you a hand, some more help either here or on www.settingascene.com as its great to see mroe people out and about with the good weather at the moment.

Cheers

Joe
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • The problem is knowing what you will be riding in a year or so's time. My eight year old got me into mountain biking two years ago. My LBS recommended exactly the right bike for the riding I was doing then. The bug bit me and I have ridden it too hard and fast. I have now moved on to a higher spec model but have aspirations beyond it. Buy the best you can afford.
  • CraziScot
    CraziScot Posts: 66
    The problem is knowing what you will be riding in a year or so's time. My eight year old got me into mountain biking two years ago. My LBS recommended exactly the right bike for the riding I was doing then. The bug bit me and I have ridden it too hard and fast. I have now moved on to a higher spec model but have aspirations beyond it. Buy the best you can afford.

Snap, I started out on a Spec Hardrock, within a year my riding had gone beyond its capabilities, hence my now riding a Focus full sus.