Best 160 mm fork upgrade??

supra-man
supra-man Posts: 358
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Its very simple dilema.
I am looking to upgrade my fork, But I am not sure of what to take. I am going for a second hand one.

I ride a specialized enduro 06 model and currently has a manitou nixon (145mm more like 130mm) with variable travel.

I did the megavalanche last year with it , but to be honest the fork quickly showed its limits. alot of bobing and brake diving always blowing through its travel.
I would like something stiffer with a bit more travel for this years mega.

I am wandering if a lyrik 2 step from 2009 is reliable how about the u turn version, and how hard is it really to climb with a fox 36 van or float or a lyrik solo air??

as I see better and more deals on the non travel adjust models.

any thing good with marzocchi 55 ?? did they have an ETA version that was reliable?
specialized enduro 06 gone snif
RS Lyrik U-turn sold
Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you sure the frame can handle that much travel?
  • supra-man
    yes it has 6 inches rear, and the pro expert and s works came with a 36 talas up front. My model elite had a shorter manitou nixon, and on specialized info it says frame is built for that much max.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Lyrik and 36 are the obvious choices as you say. 2 step can be temperamental, as can be the Zocchi 55.

If going Lyric I would get the U turn.
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    talas
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    the float is a better fork than the talas
    fox 36 float r would be my choice
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    I'd go with the Lyrik Solo Air or the Fox 36 Float. They're both plusher and feel better than their travel adjust counter parts. If you really do want travel adjust though, avoid the Lyrik 2 Step as it's had a lot of issues.
  • burge0114
    burge0114 Posts: 1
    Sorry to but in on this post but I am looking to get a 160mm travel fork for my 04 Santacurz bullit. I only have about £250 to spend as im on a tight budget. Can any1 recomend a good fork for that much.
    Would love to have a set of Fox 36's :)
    Thanks Matt
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fo Float is am amazing fork. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • M.C.
    M.C. Posts: 28
    I have 2009 Lyrik 2 Step forks and I love them. They soak up all I throw at them, feel plush and have enough adjustment to tweak them for conditions. The 2 step works well on the fly too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just thought I'd add, the Fox Float RC2 I've got is the first one I've ever had that I could fine tune it to behave exactly as I wanted. Very VERY fast on the small bumps, and still very resistant to brake dive, big hits, and bottoming out. It is an absolute dream, I can not, hand on heart, say that there is any aspect of it that I would wish to improve.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    For that type of use I would go for Vans...simple, can handle a thrashing, easy to set up and maintain.....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46173
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • supra-man
    Alot of the forks I see , at the moment a fox 36 talas , have one tiny scratch on the stanchion, would this really be a problem? or does it depend on the leg, damper or spring side.?

so Im still on the look out, and I am starting to think I may have to forget the second hand option if a tiny scratch on a stanchion is a real issue.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Definately get a set of 36 Vans. I have a set on my FR bike and they are ace. I have a set of 32 Floats on my other bike, but for your useage (potential for damage etc) get vans over the floats and avoid the Talas. Have also heard many bad things about the 2 steps...
  • Oh, and the vans use oily sponge seals which means you can scratch the stanchions and not imediately break into tears! One of my legs is scratched and it still runs beatifully.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Vans and Floats are both awesome forks. Not such a fan of TALAS. But I wouldn't kick a Float 36 out of bed for, er, leaking oil?

Though I'm still going to get a set of Lyriks. Or possibly Wotans.
    Uncompromising extremist