Mongoose Tyax Comp Sizing help? (Just bought it, happy days!

Red Route
Red Route Posts: 59
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Am interested in a Tyax but all the info I can get on it' s aize at the mo is that it's a "large" Tried Googling lots, but still no clues?
Anyone know what size in inches a large is?
I am 5ft 11 & a bit, so need 18-20 inches (ooh er)

Thanks in advance.....

UPDATE:
HAVE JUST BOUGHT IT! Tyax Comp 2009, ridden home from the shop last year by the bloke I just bought it off & not used since. it does look "as new" as he stated in the AD, has had no use, Tyers/Chain, everything looks mint, just a bit of dust! Got a bargain, imho.
Fits well, maybe even better than my last bike which was a 20" too. Never had front Sus before (am quite new to MTB) & am amazed at the difference, the Forks feel great, it all feels & looks great, ooooo!

Also after 2 months of trying to find some flat Pedal shoes that actualy fitted & worked, the postie deliverd my new pair just as I was leaving to buy Bike & they fit & work perfect, great timing, wore them to go get the Bike.!

HAPPY DAYS at last, had some crap luck lately with my old bike breaking & getting multiple punctures whilst out, & all in all bought & returned about 8 pairs of Shoes off the net or in shops, been a real pain.

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I am an inch taller. I own a 20 inch Diamondback MT40 Hardtail, a 19.5 inch All Mountain bike and an 18 inch One-One 456 hardtail <- busy being built
    The MT40 and Felt All Mountain suit me down to the earth and and I can ride them all day long.
    On-One's website confidently claims that an 18 inch 456 frame is ideal for my height!

Now I know this type of info won't aid you in working the bike size out, however I do suggest you go to the [or a] bike shop and swing a leg over the bike that's caught your eye.
    If possible, arrange a short test ride in the car park and make sure you adjust the seatpost and bars to ensure everything is to your liking

That way you'll be sure that your next purchase is right for you as there's nothing worse than being stuck with a bike you're not comfy with or doesn't fit you
  • Red Route
    Ta......It's a private sale & a slight journey. I'm trying to get him to measure from Bottom of Crank to top of seatpost is that right?
    I will obviously make sure before I part with cash.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Frames are measured from the mbottom bracket axle to the top of the seat tube. Or midway of the top tube. And even then the other measurements of a different frame will be totally different.

Thereforre you cannot say you are an 18 or 20

It depends on the bike.
  • Red Route
    I've found out on Wiggle, a Large is 20" suitable for 6ft-6ft 2". The Medium is 5ft7- 5ft 11" (why am I always between sizes on everything FFS)
    The guy also measured it at 20".
    Gonna go see it tomorro, the Bike I just sold was 20" so hopefuly it fits, I've got prettty long Arms & Legs!
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Large ;)

PS i have one for sale also lol.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Red Route wrote:
    I've found out on Wiggle, a Large is 20" suitable for 6ft-6ft 2". The Medium is 5ft7- 5ft 11" (why am I always between sizes on everything FFS)
    The guy also measured it at 20".
    Gonna go see it tomorro, the Bike I just sold was 20" so hopefuly it fits, I've got prettty long Arms & Legs!

As I said, it doesn't really mean anything - just that one frame is bigger than the other. May not relate at all to your previous bike or others.
  • Red Route
    It has'nt even been to back to shop he bought it from for it's 6 week free check as he had'nt ridden it! Well happy with the Bike for the price, had a quick go on it, fits well, feels & looks chunky & solid, Suntour XCM Forks feel lovely to me (a mere novice)
    I know it's only an entry level Bike but great feeling getting a new Bike, same as a new car, can't wait to get out on it (once I've checked it over obviously (Just poppoing to the shops now on it (hope it does'nt get half inched:-)

I've read a few good reviews & opinions of the Tyax's on here & on the Web before I bought it, any thoughts appreciated?