Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride 2010 - anyone else doing it?

jonnyc2420
jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
edited June 2010 in MTB rides
Hi all, - iv'e been roped into doing this to raise some money for our local YMCA - apparently because iv'e got a bike.......... :roll:.

it sounds like we will be doing 38 miles from Bristol to Clevedon - can only seem to find info of last years event online though and nothing about this year - anyone have experience of this event,? or thinking of going? or know of a good link online?

thanks in advance

Jonny c
Falcon Sierra - 80's
Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
GT Palomar 90's
GT Zaskar LE - 90's
Cannondale k v 900 90's
Santa Cruz Bullit - now
Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
Orange P7 Pro
Lots of kites.

Comments

• chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    Hadn't heard of it until I read your post, and had to same issue looking for info on the net, only stuff about the 2009 one, seems it was in June then so probably a similar time this year?

I did come across this comedy photo while looking though, it's either a terrible crash in progress or some kind of bike gymnastics!
    http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/image/?image_id=30599004
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There will be details on the Bristol City website, not the football team, closer to the date with online sign up details which should be April onwards I guess. I've done the Clevedon ride a couple of times and from memory the route is from Millenium square down the Portway, over the M% bridge via the hard shoulder to Gordano. Down the Gordano Valley to Clevedon, out through the moors to Brockley and upto the Aiirport and a few laps of the runway, watch out for Easyjet 737s. Down into Felton then climbing back up the elevation you've lost to the A38 and down into Long Ashton via Wild Country Lane. The ride once over the bridge is on the Avon cycleroute so along quiet traffic freeish roads.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cool - Thanks redvee - looking forward to it now !
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • redvee
    As promised from April onwards

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/T ... ---2010.en

Only saw the link was live as I looked at BBC Bristol webpage.
  • jonnyc2420
    cheers redvee - thats me registered ! :) Clevedon challenge here we come !!
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • redvee
    I'm tempted with the Clevedon ride on my SS, the only thing stopping me are the climbs from Brockley Combe onwards. IIRC the route climbs from the A370 to the airport then drops into Felton and back upto the A38 onto Barrow Gurney via Wild Country Lane. Looks like a pre-ride ride is in order.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    I'm hoping to be the Clevedon route on my MTB.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Something a little less physically challenging on 13/06/10 http://www.bristolsout.uk/2010/bristols-not-quite-so-big-bike-ride---2010.en. How many are up for the challenge :lol: ?
  • Mark Elvin
    I'm registered now for the Clevedon Challenge on the MTB, will be good practice for the Bristol2London
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Last time I did the Clevedon Challenge I completed it in just over 2 hours mind you I did miss a bit of Clevedon off. This time around I'll be looking at 2 1/2 hours.
  • Mark Elvin
    2 1/2 hours, nice effort. I'll be lucky to do it in 3 1/2!!!!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Still thinking about the Action 100 ride on Bank holiday sunday in August. Will see how I go on this ride before I make the final decision on the 112 mile ride upto Kempton Park racecourse. The nasty bits are Box Hill and the hill out of Malborough, another bit that hurts is the M4 junction at Theale just after the lunch stop.
    Name down for Bristols Biggest bike ride clevedon challenge.
  • redvee
    Just recovered from a scouting mission. Didn't do the full route but wanted to see if the climb upto the airport was as bad as I remember. It wasn't, I rode the 3 miles from the A370 to A38 in 15 mins. Dropped into the inner '30' ring and never really went further up the cassette than the middle sprocket. On the day it might be a little different as we would have covered 26 ish miles not the 13 I had today.
  • Mark Elvin
    Sounds OK. I don't remember the hill being too bad last time I did the event.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Think what helped on sunday was that I'm riding compact gearing now, in the past it was standard 53/39 chainset. Much better for climbing Box Hill too.
  • jonnyc2420
    i'm up to 35 miles on friday evenings now - should make the day less painful..... although ive registered and had a confirmation email ive not heard anything else, have you had anything through in the post yet?
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Mark Elvin
    I've had nothing yet either. :?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • jonnyc2420
    yayy ! stickers and booklet through in the post this am, Cleevedon route the same as last year with a water point on Brockley Coombe rd.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • redvee
    Ditto, mine was on the doorstep this morning too. I like the estimates for the ride time 4 - 5 hours. If you're an experienced cyclist like they suggest you should be to do this distance then 10 mph ave is far too slow. I'll leave the tap running on the water bowser for you :lol:
  • Mark Elvin
    Mine arrived too. Average of 10mph seams conservative, even on my MTB, still recovering from the accident I'm hiping to average around 14mph.

Keep an eye out for a sweaty bloke in a pink cycling top (raising money for Breast Cancer Awareness) on a nice white & black Kona.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Mark Elvin
    ARSSEEE BISCUITS.

Was hoping to catch the train to Temple Meads then bomb accross to Millenium Square, no train from Parway arrives at Temple Meads before 9:55am.

Ah well, looks like I'll be doing more like 60 miles by the end of the day.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Get your bike and bod to Abbey Wood for 8:54 for the ten minute train to Temple Meads, that is the only train into town befor 10am.
  • Mark Elvin
    Not a bad call, bit of a rush to Millenium square then.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    The ride starts at 9:20 and you have 15 mins to do less than a mile from Temple Meads to the start. It will get the heart working so you aren't too easy for me to overtake on Anchor Road :lol:
  • Mark Elvin
    redvee wrote:
    The ride starts at 9:20 and you have 15 mins to do less than a mile from Temple Meads to the start. It will get the heart working so you aren't too easy for me to overtake on Anchor Road :lol:

I don't think that'l bee an issue, I'm going to hide at the back so I don't get in peoples way!
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Anybody else back yet? Been home an hour and about to watch the Moto GP
  • Mark Elvin
    Yep, Finished in 2:48.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php ... b07d338d57

And I must apologise to the people who were driven nuts by the constant squeeking from my rear disc. Time for some investigation to the cause.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse