No enthusiasm

mattbarnes
mattbarnes Posts: 295
For as long as I can remember I've always had a passion for bikes and cycling. Over the years, I've spent most of my spare time and money on riding and fettling much to the displeasure of my long suffering wife. Ordinarily, I would go out for a ride four times a week and thoroughly enjoy every minute of every ride, but since the beginning of this year I seem to have lost all motivation to get out into the hills.
I entered a couple of local competitions in 2009 and, at the time, made a conscious effort to train hard for this years series to improve on my finishing position. Over the dark, cold, winter months I did hundreds of miles on the turbo preparing for the first race in Feb '10 but when race day came around adverse weather conditions prevented me from even getting to the event, never mind competing and getting a good placing.
Since that time I've done next to nothing on the bike and, to be perfectly honest, have no desire to either. I really just cannot be bothered and have often found myself making up pitiful excuses why I shouldn't go out (too wet, too windy, too much snow, the kettle needs de-scaling etc). I've must have been out less than 10 times since February this year - I've found that siitting on the sofa, eating and watching television is far more preferable but not the best for preparing for a race!
Has anyone else had similar experiences or is it just time for me to grow a pair and get back out there?
Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.

Comments

• you just have to get out... go throu stages of "i can't be arsed" but i go anyways and love it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why not stop racing for a bit, and just get out into the hills just for the fun of it?
    Just dick around on the bike, find an obstacle that you cannot get over, and keep trying and trying.
    Maybe even play with some trials riding or something, just anything different instead of the same old same old.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I think sometimes when you gear yourself up for a race and then dont get to do it, you can get into that "what was the point of all that training" which then leads onto that feeling of "cant be bothered".
    It is completely understandable and you probably just need to get out have fun, and learn to enjoy your riding again and not be riding just for the sake of a race cos when that race gets taken away you have nothing left.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    mattbarnes wrote:
    Has anyone else had similar experiences
    Usually every three or four years but buying shiny doo-dahs regularly can delay the onset.

In severe cases, being told 'no you can't go out on your bike' or buying a whole new bike often works.

In the meantime resist the temptation to sell the bike 'because you never use it'.
  • militiacore
    militiacore Posts: 101
    Similar experience 10-15 years ago when I was flat out racing and sponsored and got to the point it felt like riding for the sake of it and not for the sheer enjoyment of being out riding trails.

Unfortunately for me this along with getting into other sports and work commitments kept me off my bike long term for 10 years or so which I'm sure stepping back from the racing scene would have avoided.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Just sounds to me like you're overdoing it. Kick back and have some fun every now and then. :)
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X