Would you stop if you see someone down?

V5ade
V5ade Posts: 192
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I got taken out by a green laner on a motor-x bike today, he hit me head on. Obviously the biker stopped (he also came off), and his mate on another bike also stopped. Loads of guys on MTB's rode past on a ride organised by Evans I think, but only a two bothered to ask if I was okay (not okay as I've got a damaged shoulder confirmed by A&E). The guys on motor bikes were suggesting that it was my fault as I didn't have a front light (11.30 am this morning, so not relevant), and that 'accidents happen' so don't report it and get back on my bike. He then admitted that he hadn't seen me, but again this was my fault appaently as I was wearing a black t-shirt (I was offroad ffs!)

I had no phone signal, so was pretty suffed. The only good thing was the great attitude from the paramedic and the police that turned up.

If I see another person stopped, I always check to see if I can help (I'll always give way a tube and even help change it if needed), but it seemed to much for the majority today. I found that a little sad. :?:
Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)

Comments

• Yup... without fail.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Of course! If I saw you were off the bike and chatting to a couple of people I might not have though.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    2 things ,
    the mtb bikers who rode past without stopping to help sound like w*nkers
    the biker who hit you head on should have been d-locked repeatedly.

i try and help folk full stop , bike ,no bike.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    always, whether a crash even down to a minor punture
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Always stop if I think I could help.

Obviously I ride on if I don't have any spares or tools and they definatly look like they aren't hurt or anything.

If someone has crashed I will nearly always stop. Only won't if it was a little crash and tehy aren't hurt, its not really possible for me to stop eg. going down some of the DH stuff thats lethal trying to stop on or if there are plenty of others already there helping and even then I will normally ask if everythings fine before riding on
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would yes. But you said his mate stopped so maybe the riders thought it was under control. If it wasn't I am sure he would have said. Otherwise every rider would stop lol.
  • supersonic
    There was some grumpy buggers at Gisburn today though.... wouldn't expect them to stop :lol:
  • biff55
    supersonic wrote:
    I would yes. But you said his mate stopped so maybe the riders thought it was under control. If it wasn't I am sure he would have said. Otherwise every rider would stop lol.

good , they could of taken turns d-locking the reckless biker.
    queue here please. :twisted:
  • biff55
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    supersonic
    There was some grumpy buggers at Gisburn today though.... wouldn't expect them to stop :lol:

was at gisburn the other week
    great trail but alot of riders were up their own arses and prefering to look cool rather than actually engage with anyone.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Yup, always stop, even if it's only a puncture... after all, having no spare and no patches 20 miles from home can be equaly as problematic as a buckled rim/snapped mech.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Rosco454
    Rosco454 Posts: 17
    I would always stop in the hope that if I needed help that someone would do the same for me.

Cheers Ross.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    The other MTBers probably thought the motorbikers were stopped to help you.
    All you would have to do is ask for another MTBers help and they would probably stop.

If someone was on their own or looked in trouble of course I would stop or even if just asked, but if the situation looked in hand then there is nothing worse than hanging about getting in the way.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • FIow
    FIow Posts: 7
    The MTB'ers sound like w**kers, and you should have beat the s**t out of the crosser rider. I would have liked this thread a lot more if that was the outcome.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    It doesn't half get annoying when every rider in a 20-odd man group asks if you need a hand as they go past and you're just fixing a puncture!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'd slow down and ask if they were OK.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    It doesn't half get annoying when every rider in a 20-odd man group asks if you need a hand as they go past and you're just fixing a puncture!

this
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • I'd only stop if they didn't have people allready helping them.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    GHill wrote:
    I'd slow down and ask if they were OK.

+1 What goes around come around & been lucky to get help when I need it
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I ALWAYS say Hi at least, and if someone looks like they or their bike is down ill definately stop and help, certainly ask if they are OK or need anything.... i never ignore another rider.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I'd only stop if they didn't have people allready helping them.

me too. in the other side, i just stop to see if it was big.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    you must be evil not to stop and help someone out, especially when there isn't any one helping them already
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Yeh, I'd probably have slowed down and asked if you needed any spares. It's unlikely the bikers would have had any of the relevant spares.

Same in most circumstances tbh, I'll say "you alright fella?" or "need a hand?" or something similar.

As for them suggesting it's your fault for not having lights or wearing hi-viz, what a set of muppets. :roll:
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I always ask mtb's if they're alright regardless if they are in trouble or not..
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I wouldn't stop because I'm a mountain bike rider.

I'd stop because I'm a nice human being.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I always ask if fellow riders are okay. It's the unwritten code of cycling

@Jay12: you are going to hell for your comment...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Yes, goes without saying really.

Who voted no? There are 4 of you so far - own up and explain!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306

@Jay12: you are going to hell for your comment...
    why? :?
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I always stop and ask people if they're OK if they're off or had a mechanical, especially if they're on their own. I know some people don't though, I came off on the Monkey trail when I was on my own - I was trying to get up when two riders edged past me without uttering a word. :s
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would have at least slowed down and asked if he was ok, then given a hand if needed.

Even though I come across as an argumentative cnut, I always try and help people out. I've even stepped in to save someone getting beaten the crap out of on a few occasions, like some kind of bad tempered, foul mouthed guardian angel. :lol:
  • ill stop if someones on there own for sure, check that they are okay, probibally wouldnt if they were both with people and looked okay, (though i would prob just ask okay? on me way past?)