Ultimate energy drink for enduros

hayze
hayze Posts: 3
edited June 2010 in MTB general
I have spent the last few months trying to piece together all the advice and science on what should be in your energy drink (non-competing carbs, protein ratios etc) and have come up with this, for use in summer RACES. I also tried to do it as cheap as possible.

Per Litre: 80g of MYPROTEIN Tri Carb (Palatinose, Malttodextrin, Fructose & electrolytes)
20g BODY FORTRESS (Hol & Barrett) whey protein mixed with a little liquid into a paste and gradually diluted (avoid clumps and lumps)
1 teaspoon of MYPROTEIN elctrolytes
600ml Water
1L Diet Indian Tonic water reduced to 400ml by boiling (approx 150ml quinine per 3L's)

All with NO added flavours. Tastes fine to me with no notable ill effects.

Anyone have any further improvements other than water and marmite sandwiches etc for use in 60 km up to 24hr races.

Comments

• isotonic lucozade sport... don't need anything else apart from carbs, sodium and water + electrolytes.

you don't need protein during a race...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    improvements

What makes you think this is the elixir? You have banged out a recipe that may well work for some.

Let's see some stats.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Plus... being his maiden Post.. he could be out to poison us.. :P :twisted:
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Plus... being his maiden Post.. he could be out to poison us.. :P :twisted:
    ahahah
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I use my protein frutose, maltodextrin and electrolytes mix it all together its exactly same as torq but cheaper
    You could even do away with electrolytes as theres no proven evidence they alleviate cramps etc which is the story thats sold with them.

I usually find with enduros I need some solid food and protein as too much carbs from energy products usually makes me sick but i do also find that I reach a point where anything will do and I dont care as I'm way too bolloxed
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • hayze
    hayze Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Thankyou carbon'friend' sense at last. Obviously being a 'professional' rider like myself, we are open minded to the latest nutritional information. Joking aside, i have looked at research i.e. from torq and accelerade for benefits of 4:1 carb / protein mix and fluid / sugar ratios. Quinine is used to relieve cramping and while higher doses can have side effects i have found that it reduces cramp when i ride intensively (twice daily) and for long rides of 4 + hours long and gives me more confidence to stamp on the pedals and accelerate towards the end of a training sesh or race.

I have studied sports science and have tested many combinations and ratios of products and compared their effects to just water in my training diary. I also understand that the nutitional brands are trying to sell us their products as well as the psychosomatic effect that just buying products can have.

Obviously I use gels and real food when riding as well but was just interested in what people put in bottles or camelbaks.

Race bike: Focus First expert with stans 355 on sp3 xc hopes
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'm not sure I'd want to aid cramp, it does pretty well at crippling me on its own thankee....
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Quinine will also f*** up the midges
    Uncompromising extremist
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Tesco sports stuff in orange, 98p for four. One before and 2 in the camelbak seem to get me through a 50 miler.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • fredy
    fredy Posts: 308
    G&T before a race then?
  • hayze
    I've done a whole degree on sports nutrition/sports science, and there is little/no difference between some Orange squash, water + a pinch of salt (mixed at the correct concentration) when compared to all these fancy concoctions that sell for £££'s.

Its all marketing rubbish... if they said that licking a dog turd before a race wouldl give you an edge, I wonder how many would follow suit. Many is my guess.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    How about the energy stuff, or the mixes of the two? I've definitely found that if I use it on a long ride I need to eat less on the ride or when I get back- any cheap home made versions?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    hayze

Its all marketing rubbish... if they said that licking a dog turd before a race wouldl give you an edge, I wonder how many would follow suit. Many is my guess.

i always lick a dog turd before a ride, what are you trying to say? :D
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    High 5 4:1 EnergySource.

Contains everything for before, during and after an event.....cant really ask for more!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Two cans of coke and a nuun kona cola tablet in a water bottle combined with being sensitive to caffine is quite good for borring time from sleep :shock:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Clearly the secret elixir is Irn-Bru; anything else is just masquerading :P

In all seriousness, Vimto squash + sugar + pinch of salt does me fine, If I want protein or more substantial carbs with me, I tend to take it in the form of food split into small bite sized amounts that don't neccessitate stopping to eat.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    His name is Paul Hayes... isn't that Supersonic's name!?

I use High 5, they've done enough research that it works well, it tastes nice, gives me energy and is sensibly priced.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    One of the guys from my local rides swears by a bottle of coke with 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar dissolved in it! Can't say i've tried it, but he's pretty quick. Just don't tell your dentist.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    As if Coke needs any more sugar! :shock:
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    Benji if you have done what u say you will know thats not quite true yeah they are effectively the same as we are just talking sugar here but they work in different ways and are absorbed and released at different rates. I for one wouldnt like to race an enduro and start drinking coke/squash straight away getting a huge blood/insulin sugar spike and crash leaving me feeling like shit plus excerting way too much energy, if you are racing an enduro u wanna be conserving your carb stores not burning them on the first lap
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • umm, water, maybe some crisps, and a mars bar get all 10 stone of me along fine on a 50 miler :D and then when i return home, a relentless if i am tired.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    njee20 wrote:
    His name is Paul Hayes... isn't that Supersonic's name!?

I use High 5, they've done enough research that it works well, it tastes nice, gives me energy and is sensibly priced.

Indeed it is lol, but we are unrelated.