Brakes

saintsteve
saintsteve Posts: 2
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, first post on this forum but the site is a regular interest.

Now I've an issue and since the weekend is fast looming I want it sorted so I need a bit of advice.

I've recently had to get a new front wheel, all sorted until it came to replacing the brake rotor. All but one of the bolts/screws in a 6 bolt disc won't move. Actually, the head is stripped.

Other than the diy mark of drilling it out or the wallet eating one of buying new parts (again (ive spent almost as much in new parts as the bike itself) is there anyway to help get this screw out without causing any undue damage to the disc rotor itself?

Thanks !

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Cut some flats in the head and use a screwdriver
  • thecremeegg
    thecremeegg Posts: 284
    saintsteve wrote:
    Hello, first post on this forum but the site is a regular interest.

Now I've an issue and since the weekend is fast looming I want it sorted so I need a bit of advice.

I've recently had to get a new front wheel, all sorted until it came to replacing the brake rotor. All but one of the bolts/screws in a 6 bolt disc won't move. Actually, the head is stripped.

Other than the diy mark of drilling it out or the wallet eating one of buying new parts (again (ive spent almost as much in new parts as the bike itself) is there anyway to help get this screw out without causing any undue damage to the disc rotor itself?

Thanks !

I had exactly the same problem, fixed it by hammering a screwdriver into the side of the screw, causing it to turn:

screw.jpg

hammer it near the edge so that the screw turns if you get me
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Rotor bolts usually have thread locking fluid, this is probably the reason the reason the head got mangled because the thread locking fluid was doing its job.

This is a little trial and error so bear with me.

Boil some water and pour over bolt leaving a few mins for the water to works its way in, then get a hacksaw and cut a line down the middle of the bolt head making it into a flat head screw, then using a flat bladed screwdriver try undoing it.

If the boiling water didnt work, try nail polish remover, if that doesnt work try silcone spray.

One of these methods should work, as long as you have a good grip on the screw head
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you'd never get the mole grips to hold it tight enough, most brake rotor bolts are a rounded head. Nothing for the mole to bite onto.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Are you using a decent tool like this, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10216
    Worked for me on a stuck rotor bolt.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    decent tools make a big difference. I've had a few really nice quality screwdriver or socket sets, with torx bits. But none of the torx was any good. I shelled out on a seperate torx bit set, and all has been good since.