Aggression after riding

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited June 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Today i had a good fast ride, four hours long, most folk were ok and weather remained constant.

Yet when i get home i feel like i want to punch someone's lights out.

What gives?! :?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    normally find it's the other way around.

need to get out on the bike before i loose my temper!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Dazzza
    Exactly!!

Normally i get twitchy and anxious if i haven't ridden for a while, i did have a couple of caffeine drinks, that's the only cause i can think of.

Unless it's a sign im overdoing it?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    naaah.

you just need to get out AGAIN!!! :lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Dazzza
    If only, that'll kill me. :lol:
    Giant Anthem X
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    low sugar
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm. It varies I find. to start with, I tend to be really calm and zen, but as summer picks up and I ride more and more and more, and start running more as well, I kind of become some kind of "animal" with far too much excess energy. At that point I can notice that even trivial things really pi** me off if they get in my way or force me to slow something down. Strange.
    I guess it might be down to having more adrenaline pumping through your body constantly or something.
  • Dazzza
    Hmm yeah, kind of trivial when you think about it, im fine now mind. It could be low sugar as i didn't eat a large amount, then again im aiming to be quicker, so watching the carb intake is a must.

I will be cutting down on carbs, until the last three days before sunday. I may enter a biking event, depending on the weather.

Im bit of a fair weather fairy. :wink:
    Giant Anthem X
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    The low (blood) sugar answer was probably right. I'm terrible after a hard ride, foul mood when I get in if I've not eaten. Best ride in the world doesn't help but a banana or fruit juice does.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    I'm terrible after a hard ride, foul mood when I get in if I've not eaten.

You're not alone, I can be very irritable especially if I've set a poor time.

What I also notice is that it's quite dependent on what I ate before the ride and, if applicable, at the cafe stop - lots of carbs with no protein and I'll want to knock someone out, not to mention I suffer a drop-off in performance, but if I've had lunch before I ride or something like a bacon sandwich at a cafe stop, nothing can stop me riding like the wind. So I always keep a "balanced" snack if I think the club's cafe stop will be only long enough for a cake, or I'll have a milkshake to slow down the energy rush.

Maybe this is also why more and more energy bar manufacturers are putting protein in their products so as to level out a sugar swing. Such examples include the Honey Stingers, with 10g of protein. I had one this morning on a ride having only had a large bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast. They work for me far better than most Energy Gels. We're all different, use up energy resources at different rates and just have to find what works for us. Get it right and you'll fly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pianoman, are you a Roadie? I realise how serious an accusation that is, but... :lol:
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Well I wouldn't be p****d off about setting a rubbish time if I was trail riding would I? I'd probably be looking to catch some air time as you do over every jump.

I remember doing so on what I thought was a mountain bike though, many years ago. By today's standards it would be an "all terrain bike" with no suspension :lol:
  • Dave SS
    Dave SS Posts: 15
    Dazzza wrote:
    Today i had a good fast ride, four hours long, most folk were ok and weather remained constant.

Yet when i get home i feel like i want to punch someone's lights out.

What gives?! :?

Happens to me now and again, tends to be when I've over-exerted myself or I'm physically (and mentally?) low. If I deliberately ease back for 10-15mins before I get home it helps a lot, doing so means I haven't got all the adrenaline to cope with.

Low sugar makes me feel tired, not angry.