Rockshox Reba motion control lockout lever--from Poploc

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
As my Poploc unit has broken on Reba forks (05/06) I`m fitting a lockout unit on the crown head; to do this I`m told that I have to disable teh moco spring
how is this done??
:?
thanks for help!

Comments

• Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    stuff like that usualy means just take it out? not sure though
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    have a look here: http://www.sram.com/en/service/ you should be able to find the relevant service guide.
  • JamesB
    Thanks have found relevant manual section and it shows a spring unit within damper for Poploc models but not for lever on crown---so do I just cut the spring, does anyone know??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • JamesB
    Thanks, job done then :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Remove the circlip take off poploc spool. Using a 24 mm box spanner (or if your very careful a 24mm socket) undo the MoCo unit pull it out carefully using a twisting motion so it slides past the threads without damaging the O-ring have plenty of clean rags ready let the oil drain into a drip tray.

Inside the red plastic cylinder you can see a spring with a bit of fiddling you can unhook the top of the spring (dont try the bottom it wont come out) with a small screwdriver or a bent piece of stiff wire I used a welding rod. Go carefully you dont want to damage the aluminium damper rod.

Its probably a good idea to change the oil in the damper drain it out of the leg and refill with 110cc of 5w fork oil. Refit Moco damper twisting it back in past the threads. Screw it back down but not too tight you might want to undo it again. You can fit an expensive lockout lever but all I did was replace the spool and fitted a chunky O-ring in the groove the cable used to sit in. Works just fine and saves about £20
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?

it is there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JamesB
    No but I have now!!! :) and noted your method too, Nick!
  • JamesB

Only thing I`d add to this, Nick, haviing just followed your procedure with success is make sure that metal `control gate `section at lower end moco is relocated properly---first re-assembly (as it had fallen off) I didn`t put it back in correct location so teh gate wouldn`t lock shut properly, ie it was 180 deg out and wouldn`t lock out