what is the best all weather kit to wear

CrankMarvin
CrankMarvin Posts: 19
edited June 2010 in MTB general
After getting caught yesterday in a right old down fall and being suprised at how wet you can actually get on a bike i was wondering if anyone had any tips on what coat trouser combo people rate

I wear my hh base layer which is all good...and some padded shorts..
but my trouser when wet when just catch in the chain and pull , not good in step ins....

any tips or suggestions would be cool...

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You were wearing trousers in june?

Get some waterproof shorts :D
  • coat?TROUSERS? :shock:

shorts and jersey here!
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    Not the stuff we had on yesterday :D

Some on here say nothing works 100%, I pressume you can minimise the wetness with the right kit?
  • i have a rockgardn wind/spray proof jacket the ties up into its self if it looks like it might rain..
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    if it's going to p!ss down and i know it and i don't want to get wet then for overs i use waterproof Altura Attack 3/4s, waterproof socks and an Altura Nevis. that covers me for the vast bulk of situations "Summer" or Winter. Although i wouldn't like to do any real mileage in summer with the above on
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Anything past March I just have a short sleeved base layer and Altura shorts on! If it raining I stick a thin waterproof jacket on. Trousers + coat belong only in the deepest winter :wink:
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    castelli overshoes (I HATE WET FEET) a windproof jacket and a dose of MTFU. :wink:
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Bikini.

You get a tan in the Summer, and if it rains, your skin is waterproof. lol!
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    in the middle of nowhere, I got very frowned upon by ramblers for riding with just speedo banana hammocks, trainers and day bag on last year.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A gilet is the way to go for all-round weather protection- doesn't overheat you like a full rainproof jacket will, and you won't mind having wet arms too much. Can't recommend the Montane ones too highly, it's a fairly basic level of waterproofing but they pack down tiny so you can just leave one in your bag all the time. But others are available.

Some bigger raincoats are impressive now, I've got an Altura Attack Extreme which is one of the best out there and which did me proud through the winter but the fact is, even breathable lightweight jackets are still hot to ride in, so if you get a warm but wet day they're grim. I doubt I'll wear it again before September or so.

For shorts, there's various waterproof options, I totally love my 3/4 length Altura Attack waterproofs in winter- mud slides off them and they stop you from getting trenchcock. Fab. But they take more looking after than normal shorts.

Sometimes it's better just to dry out fast, most "technical" fabrics will dry quickly and not hold too much water.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Sealskinz mankini with matching socks and gloves.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah, I forgot about that- one Sealskin over the tackle, job done, Rage Against The Machine style. And you even get a spare.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Waterproof baggies with wicking thermal tights & good wool socks, and then if I must stay dry for some reason I'd just wear my mountian shell with the hood demounted.

Personally I've found a good wicking baselayer, a slightly loose thick pile polypro and a windshirt is much more verstatile and comfortable for biking than wearing actual waterproof gear, not unlike the principal behind the montane and paramo technical gear. (this possibly makes it more important to pack a survival bag or two man bothy as a last ditch measure.)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Enduro water resistant baggies,
    merino long sleeve base layer,
    sleevless gillet style softshell
    If it looks like a hurricane I stick a Pearl Izzumi waterproof in the bag
    If it looks like a blizzard I stick a long sleeve softshell in the bag.

this kit sees me through everything, except in the summer when i change the merino for a breatheable riding top.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I've got an Altura Crosslight shell - packs down to nothing and has done me proud through all seasons. Whilst it's just a shell you can layer (loads!) up underneath if it is cold so I think it's a bit more flexible than a jacket with insulation in...

With shorts I've heard that you are best to get 3/4 length - if they are above the knee the wind pushes water up your shorts from the knee area. Negative with 3/4's is that the rain then runs down your legs into your shoes - you might want to look at some overshoe type things as well. I've not invested yet but again a waterproof shell is perhaps a little more flexible than full on shorts as you can take them off if it stops raining and warms up (unlikely I know!).

I think it's fair to say you get what you pay for and that looking after your kit properly helps. If you spend £80-100 on a waterproof shell you should be pretty likely to get something which does exactly what it says on the tin. A quick reproofing to keep the water repellency every now and again will keep it in good working order...

I know Gore is very well thought of but is uber-expensive. There's a few good British brands to look at in what I term to be reasonable prices such as Altura and Endura. You can often pick waterproof stuff up in sales at the moment too...
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Hmm slimboy just reminded me; Anything that says waterproof or water resistant shouldn't go throught he washing machine as they tend to be impregnated with a water repelancy that a machine breaks down. I never wash my softshells... funnily enough they don't smell! I rinse them with warm water from time to time if they are caked.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You can wash waterproof gear, just dont use conditioner (i.e. Bold 2 in 1)

After time you'll need to reproof them with something like Nikwax.