Really exciting topic - Grips

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I've been racking up a load of miles commuting now but I have noticed that after about 5-6 miles I get pins and needles in my right hand, I think it's only that hand as I'm leaning heavier on the right after breaking my left wrist earlier in the year.

Does anyone use ergo grips to any success?

I'm looking at these:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... 1&eid=5097

I've got a few specialized bits and think the quality is good so I'd rather stick with them, Unless there is a far superior option that is.

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The superior option is drop bars.... :D

Afraid I can't be more help!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I've got some on my mountain bike, as I have wrist problems. I'm afraid I'm distinctly unimpressed. You're going to do better to have your position on the bike looked at, to make sure you're not putting too much weight through your arms.
  • DaveHudson
    :lol: Yeah yeah, Whatever.

Head down- arse up stance would just look like I'm riding the bike backwards. :oops:
  • DaveHudson
    whyamihere wrote:
    I've got some on my mountain bike, as I have wrist problems. I'm afraid I'm distinctly unimpressed. You're going to do better to have your position on the bike looked at, to make sure you're not putting too much weight through your arms.

Interesting, I'll try changing the angle of the bars and saddle height to see if it helps.
    Thanks
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    I think the most comfortable bars ever are North Road bars, upright preferably or, if not, dropped.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    DaveHudson wrote:
    I've been racking up a load of miles commuting now but I have noticed that after about 5-6 miles I get pins and needles in my right hand, I think it's only that hand as I'm leaning heavier on the right after breaking my left wrist earlier in the year.

Does anyone use ergo grips to any success?

I'm looking at these:
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... 1&eid=5097

I've got a few specialized bits and think the quality is good so I'd rather stick with them, Unless there is a far superior option that is.

Thanks
    Dave

Get bar ends. Gives lots more hand positions.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve got Ergon grips on both my Boardman hybrid and my Giant "mountain bike" because I get numb hands all the time. Unfortunately despite being very comfortable to use they`ve made no difference whatsoever with the numb hands!!
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    not going to preech about drops, but they are great

however the fact i can move my hands around helps so bar ends may help. I have a medical condtion that effects my wrists and varying position helps immensley
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Get bar ends. Gives lots more hand positions.

+1. Most of the advantages of drops at a fraction of the expense.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DaveHudson
    Thanks gents but I already have a set of spec P2 bar ends, which help a bit but when I'm on the flat bars it comes back.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/productdetail.as ... code=17362 Are another option, I'm hoping these would give me a bit more bar space over my current ends and lock on grips.

It's not a huge amount of money so I may just take a gamble. :?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've got the GR2s on the hybrid and I really like them. They've made it more comfortable and also give a position similar to being on the hoods of the CX.

The only reason I| got them was because I had a silly off in the snow, when I tried to bunny hop up a kerb and the previous grips slipped off; shortly after so did I.

It does sound like you could be putting too much weight on your arms though.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    gbsahne wrote:
    when I tried to bunny hop up a kerb and the previous grips slipped off.

:shock:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    that was 10 miles before i had the proper off that day; going round a corner slowly (15mph), hit black ice amidst the snow and there I am sliding across the road; not the best of days on the bike.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I don't know why people keep mentioning drop bars as comfortable because of th evariery of positions.
    The bar on my racer is correctly sized so that on the hoods my arms are resting straight. No need to use the straight bit at the top infact, most climbers on the giro today were on the hoods. The new bike geometry allows that to be a better climbing position.
    The drops I only need when trying to be more aerodynamic or when I need better grip on the brake levers, but that's not for comfort, it's for performance.
    I am very happy with my hands in the same place for 5+ hours... and only suffer discomfort on bikes that are not correctly sized.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You might try tilting your seat slightly backwards - it tends to force more weight onto your butt and less on your hands - worth a try at no expense....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    There's them things that Mark Beaumont rode around the world on.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • dugliss
    You might try tilting your seat slightly backwards - it tends to force more weight onto your butt and less on your hands - worth a try at no expense....

Could this work as I always get numb hands on both of my bikes?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Had the same problem on my flat bar commuter. These sorted it out for me:

35361.jpg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dugliss wrote:
    Could this work as I always get numb hands on both of my bikes?

Worked for me. Seems intuitive if the think of what would happen if you tipped the seat forward - you hands would have to support more weight. Mark the current position of the seat and give it a try. Take an allen key with you on your ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dugliss
    Yeah, that makes sense, I`ll give it a try tomorrow and see
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Unless your saddle is already level... But then again the excruciating pain from your crotch could distract you from noticing your numb hands.
  • dugliss
    That`ll explain why my wife calls me numbnuts then!!
  • DaveHudson
    The new grips have pretty much solved it, I still very occasionally get a little numbness but that's only when I am carrying more in the backpack than usual.

May rotate the seat back a tad later to see what that does.

Thanks for all the help people.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675

Just a thought, I found that moving my seat forwards a little bit (not tipping, just a horizontal movement) actually took some of the weight off my hands.

It forces the peak of the seat-handlebar-head triangle to be slightly closer to your seat, putting more weight on yer bum.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Gloves with the ulnar nerve padding, perhaps?