Stiff Crank

camerauk
camerauk Posts: 1,000
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have not riden my bike(Cape Wrath Disc) for a couple of weeks and have just fitted a new XT rear mech
when fitting it I notice that the crank was a bit stiff to turn, it was new about 3 months ago is this normal? its a Shimano Deore Hollowtech II and was fitted by a lbs it span fine before this time off the bike there is no play or movement in the crank

cheers
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    May loosen up, or has been preloaded too tightly.
  • camerauk
    it was spinning nice and free its just seems a little bit tight now after not riding for a few weeks its not like really stiff just does not spin free when turned if you get what I mean
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    It sounds like the pre load is too tight which causes wear on the bearings.

If you've got the right tools it's a easy to fix, however you said you took it to the LBS to get fitted so I'll guess that you haven't.

video

I would say that the shimano bottom brackets don't last long but you should be ok.

This tool is awesome for the job, plus you'll need allen keys etc.

tool

best of luck
  • camerauk
    Hi
    Stripped it down and looks like the non drive side bearing has started to seize up asked LBS and they say its not covered as its a wearing part even though I have only done about 10 rides about 150 miles in total they say the shimano bearings are rubbish and to get a new hope bottom bracket at £70 is this right and what would you get to fit in place of the old one?
    and where is best place
    cheers
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I disagree with the shop -150 miles is not acceptable if this is the case, and they could at least try and fix it by stripping the seals out and greasing it.

As for a 70 quid BB on a 50 quid chainset, sums up what they want really - your money. Tell them to stuff it and get a superstar one if you have to. But no way would I accept 150 miles as wear and tear, is ridiculous.
  • camerauk
    well I did think that was not good and I don't think I will be using them again
    Think I will just have to bit the bullet and get a new bottom bracket so the superstar one is good then?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I suspect they have over tightened the crank and that this has caused the wear.

buy one of these and see if you can't service the bearings. They might just be stuck.

Fitting a new bb is a piece of p***

Worth noting also that your consumer rights are with the shop not the manufacturer, so if they are telling you they sold you a product which is crap, then they have pretty much admitted you have a claim against them..

obviously not good at running a business as well as fitting parts ;)
  • camerauk
    ok cheers will get one of the tools
    but what is a good bottom bracket to get I wont be going back to the LBS as I am getting fedup with getting ripped off so will fit a new bottom bearing myself
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Same again for under 20 quid. A 60 quid hope unit is a bit over kill on a deore crank.

But I would strip the old one down and see if its serviceable. We chuck enough stuff in the bin as it is without binning stuff that might just need a bit of TLC even if it is just 20 quid.