Why don't Campag make MTB stuff?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Anyone know?

I'm just curious as to why a company that competes pretty well with Shimano and SRAM in the roadie market does not make the equivalent MTB kit. Did it try and fail in the past, or did it not want to 'lower' itself to make non-roadie parts?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it did and was not well received.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think it's a big loss to us MTBers. My boss is a very keen roadie, an he's convinced that Campag is mostly fashion. If money was no object, he'd opt for Dura Ace he reckons.

However, more companies competing is always good for consumers.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    hey nick , read both them articles you posted and nothning negative was mentioned about compags foray into MTB parts.
    what went wrong for them ?
  • nicklouse
    read the bit about "how it was wrong for them" they just got it wrong.
  • Stevo_666
    However, more companies competing is always good for consumers.
    I was also thinking it would help keep the big players on their toes if Campag joined in. Sounds like they're not interested any more though...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • biff55
    ah gotch ya , they simple didn't have the cash to design / compete against shimano's considerable lead in MTB parts basically.
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    Can't find that, Nick.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    nicklouse wrote:
    Can't find that, Nick.
    2nd to last paragraph ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • Anonymous
    Doesn't seem to fit with Nick's description, it just says they didn't have the fire-power to take on Shimano at it's strongest market.
  • bertberr
    bertberr Posts: 151
    Well, I had a pair of their Mirox MTB rims built up in the mid 90's for my Cinder Cone... still have them on the bike today, though it has been on road duty for a few years now.

Not exactly the lightest hoops on the planet, but tough as old boots (hoops?! sorry).
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Aren't Campagnolo the parent company of Fulcrum and as such the hubs on their wheels are Campag?
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • biff55 wrote:
    ah gotch ya , they simple didn't have the cash to design / compete against shimano's considerable lead in MTB parts basically.
    Shimano's lead eh?
    What about SRAM?

Sram v Shimano debate anyone? :lol:
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    Shimano's lead eh?
    What about SRAM?

Sram v Shimano debate anyone? :lol:
    :lol::lol:

Sram are clearly streets ahead :wink:
  • biff55
    this arguement was clearly settled months ago on our forum with a google fight between shinamo vs sram ( whole company's )
    the results were as following ;
    shimano = win
    sram = fail

please keep up with the program boys and girls :D
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Fulcrum are Campag! And I'm very happy with my Red Metal 3 Wheels.
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • Anonymous
    Back then SRAM and Sachs were just emerging into the MTB market, really.

I'm still no fan of SRAM, too many stupid engineering decisions. When Shimano get it right, they REALLY get it right.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    adydow wrote:

Ditto.

Great wheels.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Stevo_666
    adydow wrote:
    I was thinking about tranmission bits when I wrote the question but TBH had forgotten that Fulcrum were Campag!
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    I remember back in the day when Suntour was the mtb groupset of choice. Bring back thumbshifters!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Darren555 wrote:
    I remember back in the day when Suntour was the mtb groupset of choice. Bring back thumbshifters!

Yep back in the 80s Suntour top end kit was the kit to have. It pretty much beat the pants off Shimano on price, shifting performance and weight. 2 things let it down the jockey wheel bearings wore out so quick you would have thought they were made out of Hula Hoops. Also spares werent easy to get hold of unlike Shimano where every Shimano dealer seemed to carry every spare under the sun or could get it delivered within the week which was unheard of in those days no Chain Reaction then.

The Suntour front mechs were brilliant it was years before Shimano got the front shifting to beat Suntour even though Suntour gave up the battle in about 1990.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    Suntour always looked cheaper than Shimano, which affects many people's decisions!. People are drawn to shiny stuff! A mate had Suntour XC Comp in about 1990, never any problems with it.

I had a Campag MTB rim once, it was made of the softest metal I've seen! Dented so easily it was useless! Seem to remember it was expensive too. Their MTB groupsets looked quality though.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The Campag gear looked like it had been designed by Campagnolo's blind brother which didn't help sales an I seem to remember it was a bit behind the big S in the technology stakes, to be honest I've always had Campagnolo on my road bikes and I wouldn't have anything else (I personally hate the shape of the brake hoods on the Shimano road gear and I dont like the way you shift with the brake lever) but I would always use Shimano on my MTB as I've always used it and it's works.
    Not so sure about Fisher Price, I mean SRAM... :wink:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    they do still make flat bar shifters so you could make a mtb with 10 speed mountainbike gearing. As far as i'm concerned, campagnolo make vastly superior parts purely because it is so rebuildable. If you get the record stuff then it is all cartridge bearings and every part you can get fairly quickly from mercian.

You just don't get that with shimano or sram, but at least with shimano you can strip and rebuild the shifters, you certainly cannot do that with sram as easily.
  • Paul 8v
    You can even buy retrofit innards for the ergo shifters to convert 9 to 10 speed or 10 - 11
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Darren555 wrote:

Not Suntour, but I do have a pair of XT thumbies on a part-built bike in the shed... they still work perfectly.
  • Paul 8v
    they are a lovely bit of kit, my mate has some on his slowly dying GT LTS