front mech set up

langtounboy
langtounboy Posts: 55
edited June 2010 in The workshop
I know the theory of setting up gears and have set up a fair few before but I'm stumped on my own bike.
My giant FCR2 has a TruVativ Touro triple chainset with a Shimano 443 front mech and sram x7 shifters; all standard equipment.
When I changed the chain, cassette and all the gear cables I noted that the low stop screw on the front mech was preventing it from reaching the granny ring.
I adjusted the L and H screws and then connected the cable and adjusted the tension. Now the problem; with one click on the right hand shifter it moves from the granny ring to the big ring.
No matter how I adjusted it it's only allowing me one click before it's too tight.
I changed the shifter to a Sram x9 but still same problem. My next guess is to change the front mech to an x7 or x9. Anybody got any other ideas?
JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
Hack Lefty with slicks
Dirty Lefty Taurine
Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.

Comments

• rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    sram us 1:1 actuation shimano use 2:1, try a shimano shifter or get a SRAM derailleur although the front should still work as the 2:1 is irrelevent at the front.
  • Is your front shifter cable connected to the front mech correctly? It sounds like you may of connected it to the wrong side of the mounting bolt.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, sram shifter whould work fine with shimano mech, sounds like either you have it very misset or by attaching the cable on the wrong side of the retaining bolt (thus shortening the effective pivot length) its moving the mech to far for the cable pull.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.