Frame pump crudded up

Bluemoon39
Bluemoon39 Posts: 168
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Are frame pumps a bad idea in our climate?

I've had a Specialized Air Tool MTB Frame Pump clamped to my frame for a year and luckily never needed it until I got a puncture last weekend. Then it basically didn't work , I think it was crudded up as it was really stiff and didn't put out any air. Luckily my mate had his pump in his backpack so I used his.

When I got home I tried cleaning it throughly and even sprayed GT85 into the air holes, I got it working a bit but wouldn't trust it on the peak district trials.

Does this mean frame pumps are a bad idea and I should carry my pump in my pack or is it just a crap pump?
Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Keep it in your pack or on your pack. On the frame as you've discovered is not a great idea. Same goes for waterbottles.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Same happened to me recently, hadn't used my frame mounted pump all winter, then when I needed it, it was knackered. Bought a new one, keep it in my camelback.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    wrap a layer of clingfilm round it - :lol:
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I used to put the thum from a latex glove over the head of mine to keep crud out.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Bit of electricians’ tape over each end and it will last for ever on your frame.