Fitting New Frame

mbro12
mbro12 Posts: 42
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just ordered a new HT frame to replace the existing one and working out what tools i may be deficient of. Got the IceToolz bike tool kit with I believe the crank extractor missing, so Im assuming Ill need a Crank Extractor, BB tool. Other than that, for removing/refitting forks, do I need a star fangled nut tool. I assume the rest is pretty much standard adjustables/sockets/aleen keys.
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need a starnut tool if just swapping forks - you need the tool to fit a new starnut to a new fork.

Most is standard, but does depend on exact spec. What chainset and bottom bracket do you have?
  • mbro12
    Its still a stock Hardrock Sport 2009 Disc so its a Shimano BB-ES25 octalink BB with a SRAM PG-820 8 speed cassette.
    We took the Cranks etc off a few months ago to fix a bent crank and had alot of hassle due to not having the crank extractor, managed to somehow get it off though. Didnt attempt the BB
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You'll need a crank puller this time as you don't want to ruin them.

You also need a headet remover AND fitter - this can be bodged as the tools are quite expensive but I'd take the old frame along with your new to your LBS and get them to do it.

You will need a new tool to get your BB out.

That a side, just normal tools will do.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ypu don't need an SFN tool - maybe something for the fork crown race, but not the SFN.

Crank extractor must be octalink compatible.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Does the new frame have headset cups pre-installed? If not that is another job for the LBS.

TBH if you are going thru the bother of a frame transplant, you might as well upgrade to a rock hopper frame and possible better forks?
  • mbro12
    I looked at RH frames and there too expensive (£160+ second hand), picked up the 456 frame as its got great reviews and I can fit longer forks. Next purchase will probably be some Rebas or a good air shock