Is it wise to use SPD's in the Peaks?

drewcole81
drewcole81 Posts: 528
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Hello all,

I fitted my SPDs a few weeks ago and seem to be getting on with them okay, I haven't had any problems with getting unclipped at all.. unlike my mate who stopped and forgot, then just fell sideways! :)

I've not been to the Peaks on the bike before so not 100% sure of what to expect(?).

I'm going to take my V12s with me anyway just incase, but thought i'd ask you fine folk who may have some first hand experience in riding there?

grassy'arse

Drew.
....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I usually ride SPD's but I changed them back to flats last week for a attempt at Cut Gate and was very glad I did. However, I'm relatively unfit and unskilled so riding along rocky uphill paths in SPD's would be asking for trouble. A lot depends on how fit/skilled/confident you are at riding that kind of terrain. Have a look on Youtube, there are loads of videos on there that will give you some idea of what you will be riding on. Do you know what route you'll be doing?
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    It really does depend a lot on how aggressive you ride and how confident you are in your SPDs.

There is some tough riding in the Peaks (I did a 33km round Hope yesterday with some rather muddy/slippy trail conditions), and I was glad to be able to bale on a couple of occassions :lol: but then I never ride SPDs anyway....
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I guess this is a personal thing? some will, some won't?

I get on well with SPDs and don't feel phased by being "attached to the bike" when riding more technical terrain.

If you're new to SPD and still getting the hang of it then maybe take the flats and wait till you are more comfortable with them before riding harder routes? But people do ride the same routes you will be doing with SPDs, so it is possible.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Pretty much what jairaj said. personally I'd rather be on SPDs on techy terrain as that's what I'm used to and for me the positive of being clipped in far outweighs the issues around unclipping quickly.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I always take off my SPD's when I ride in the Peaks... in my opinion, it's just more fun that way and you can take a riskier line if you feel like it. Anyway, some of the climbs are so steep, technical and rocky I can't imagine how anyone could ride them clipped in. Your front wheel lifts, you go over backwards/sidewards and end up with a large lump of gritstone busting your coccyx (or worse!)
    Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    I always ride SPD's in the peaks never had any problems even when i wasjust starting out and not very skilled.

As long as you can unclip easily it should not be a problem
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I think you should at least give them a go. Like you say your taking the flats just in case.

I went to Heyfield last month and although the peaks have got a few sections of rocks and a fair bit of steep I felt fine in spds. I have a fair bit of experience with them, and it would be good for your spd skills improvement to give them a shot.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Pretty much what jairaj said. personally I'd rather be on SPDs on techy terrain as that's what I'm used to and for me the positive of being clipped in far outweighs the issues around unclipping quickly.

See i'm the opposite...

I ride fairly loose, so if i'm going fast over rocky stuff and lose a bit of balance I tend to kick my leg out quickly, balance my self and wack it straight back on the pedal!

There's no way I could do it as quickly with SPD's!

Plus I can't twist my knees, so pedal float is a bad thing for me :(

But as you say... its what i'm used to!
  • drewcole81
    Ummm... what everyone has said is much what I was thinking, but it is good to read/hear what other people think.

I'm not sure what routes we'll be riding yet as I haven't been there before, we have 4 days in the area so I guess we could fit in a couple of good ones at least.

I'll give them a go I think..... how hard can it be!!!! (don't say that!!!)
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I've always ridden with SPDs (Shimano XT), mainly because I came from a roadie background, and never had a problem getting my feet out quick. I have the clip in resistance set to minimum which is fine for me, haven't pulled my feet out of them without wanting to and I'm 6ft 2!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • drewcole81
    poppit wrote:
    I've always ridden with SPDs (Shimano XT), mainly because I came from a roadie background, and never had a problem getting my feet out quick. I have the clip in resistance set to minimum which is fine for me, haven't pulled my feet out of them without wanting to and I'm 6ft 2!

I think i'll be changing the resistance on mine so they are fairly easy to unclip from!

When I first went out with them I didn't really look into the whole thing, plua I was too excited at the new toys... Got on the bike, slammed my feet in the realised they were VERY tight and couldn't get out of them!

I had to stop next to my shed and undo the shoes to get off the bike, then loosen the clips to get the shoes off!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    drewcole81 wrote:
    Hello all,

I fitted my SPDs a few weeks ago and seem to be getting on with them okay, I haven't had any problems with getting unclipped at all.. unlike my mate who stopped and forgot, then just fell sideways! :)

I've not been to the Peaks on the bike before so not 100% sure of what to expect(?).

I'm going to take my V12s with me anyway just incase, but thought i'd ask you fine folk who may have some first hand experience in riding there?

grassy'ars*

Drew.
    My advice is, if you are even having to contemplate whether or not you'll be fine on SPDs, it shows that you lack confidence in your skills, so stick to flats until you feel happy riding everything on SPDs.
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    I ride he peaks on SPDs, but it is your personal choice. I'd say it makes more of a difference getting your saddle down and putting some large tyres on.

However if you are questioning yourself go flats, not because I think it will make it easier but you will probably have more confidence
  • drewcole81
    Mc Smiley wrote:
    I ride he peaks on SPDs, but it is your personal choice. I'd say it makes more of a difference getting your saddle down and putting some large tyres on.

However if you are questioning yourself go flats, not because I think it will make it easier but you will probably have more confidence

Very good advice thanks :)

Funnily enough I put some 2.30 Kenda Navegals on last week ready for it, I think your also right about the flats... I do feel more confident with them, I'll stick them on as I do feel more confident with them on. I'll put the SPDs back on when I get home and ride my local trails with them until i'm happy with them I think.

Thanks everyone :)
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    If it helps, I've done cutgate with SPDs and without.

With SPDs I was quicker up the hilly bits, but slower down some of the interesting rocky sections - in fact, I tended to unclip and sit my foot on the cage because I'm a big woos and like to be able to bail before my nads hit something... Well, anything.

With flats, slower up (but not by much, any slower and it's called 'stop' with me) but lots more fun on the more complicated bits.

As for tyres - I ride silly 2.4 panaracers specifically because of that terrain.

The only problem I find is I do all my longer/boring rides with SPDs, so when I do the fun ones with flats, I keep trying to pull the pedal upwards on really steep climbs...

If you've already made your decision (okay, it looks like you have) then hopefully this'll make you even happier about it :D
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I ride SPDs all the time but it is sensible to use your flats if you're not quite ready to be clipped in on tricky terrain. It can be quite committing mentally sometimes...
    Many happy trails!
  • h4muf
    h4muf Posts: 20
    This is me and my mate in edale in jan.

59sqr6.jpg

Fully spd'd up,fell off no end of times but it's made me a better rider now :D
    ` 09 voodoo bantu
    08 goose otero elite
    `76 gitane ss
    `80 raleigh medale
    `78 raleigh chopper
  • andyhilton
    andyhilton Posts: 156
    Go with what you're used to. I rode flats until about 2 1/2 years ago. I've put flat pedals back on once since then. I felt quite unsafe as I kept losing the pedals on descents. I'm fully converted.
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Never had trouble with SPDs, except at low speed, at lights, in front of a pub, in the summer. But that has more to do with trying to trackstand and getting it wrong!

If people have trouble getting out in a crash situation, particularly at speed I'd have to suggest that they have set them up too tight. If you get them set up properly you're not welded to the bike.

I'd be more worried about slipping off flats, the pedals doing a rev at warp speed and banging me in the shin, which results in a Peter Griffin experience http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaKaNQXJff0
  • SPD's seem to be something you either love or hate. Being clipped on or not: you'll find equal numbers of riders who extol the preference and virtues of both ways.

I ride a lot in the Peaks, always ride clipped in, and have rarely had any problems with being able to unclip in time for whatever reason.
    However, one of my riding mates tried SPDs for a while and just never got on with them, so now always rides flats.

I would suggest that if you're not 100% confident with SPDs yet then don't let it spoil your trip to the Peaks by giving you something to worry about... or, if you've got adjustable SPDs like shimano's then set them to a loose retention...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead