Manchester to Blackpool

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
Hi All,

Not sure this is the right section, but couldn't find another one more appropriate.

I'm thinking of doing it this year, but have never cycled more than 25 miles.

Is this doable and does anyone have any epxerience/blogs ?

What do you do if you need a pee?

Thanks,

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Avoneer wrote:
    Hi All,

Not sure this is the right section, but couldn't find another one more appropriate.

I'm thinking of doing it this year, but have never cycled more than 25 miles.

Is this doable and does anyone have any epxerience/blogs ?

What do you do if you need a pee?

Thanks,

Pat...

Depends if you are a man or a woman :wink:

Post this in the sportive section and you should get a better response.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    There are stops along the way. Or you can pop into a pub or petrol station, etc. Might need to bring a lock if you have a weak bladder though. (Or find a spot at the side of the road - many other people do!).

I've done this ride and to be honest if you've only done 25 miles then you may struggle a bit (as it's close to 60 miles). But it's largely flat and there will be lots of other people who are at your level.

Depending on when the event is - I'd have a go at doing a longer ride before to see how you handle the longer distance. And if you DO go for it - enjoy it and best of luck!
  • Avoneer
    Cheers guys - I'm a Patrick by the way.

It's in about 4 weeks!

I run and swim a lot and recently did the Oulton Park Duathlon so consider myself to be pretty fit and I'm sure i could hold out for 60 miles.

Is it simply time in the saddle that's the major problem, or level of fitness?

Thanks,

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Pokerface
    Time in the saddle as you can ride it at your own pace. It's not like you HAVE to ride at a certain speed or keep up with anyone. If you can handle sitting in the saddle for 4 hours, then you should be able to do it.

General fitness is important too. As is making sure you eat and drink enough during the ride to keep your energy levels up.

If you've got 4 weeks, then you should be fine - but try and get a 40-50 mile ride in before to make sure you're ready for the big day. It can be a bit of shock to the system to ride more than twice as much as you have previously, even if we're talking about relatively short distances.
  • Avoneer
    Cheers.

Will see what I can do in the next two weeks then make a decision.

Pat...
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    my first ever blog post was on the Manchester - Blackpool ride :) , since you asked

http://crimmey.blogspot.com/2009/07/manchester-blackpool-cycle-ride.html

Probably wont do it myself this year as my diary is chocca with all sorts or competitions and events
  • Avoneer
    Cheers - just about to start reading that - looks like what I was looking for.

Would you do it again?

Pat...
  • Pokerface
    Personally - if I was free that weekend and the weather was good - I would do it again.

I actually rode back home to Manchester afterwards! Took me 7 hours but was my first Century ride (over 100 miles).
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Are we expecting a better standard of riding this time or will it be the usual eight-wide jostling with the swerving MTB riders?

If so I might start looking for somewhere that sells body armour and hope it's not too hot :lol:
  • Avoneer
    Ski pole across your handle bars?

I've entered anyway.

Riding for breast cancer so if any of you see see me, shout hello.

I'll be wearing a pink tutu!

http://original.justgiving.com/patrickwalkington1

Did a 20 mile on Wednesday night and off for a 30 mile in the morning.

Pat...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Crimmey wrote:
    my first ever blog post was on the Manchester - Blackpool ride :) , since you asked

http://crimmey.blogspot.com/2009/07/manchester-blackpool-cycle-ride.html

Probably wont do it myself this year as my diary is chocca with all sorts or competitions and events

Nice blog old chap, well You were risking it a bit werent you with curry as your pre ride meal.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    I was inexperienced and naive :P

Good luck to Avoneer and his pink tutu.
  • Avoneer
    Quick update.......

Bike all back together:

3 flat bladed spoked repaired and wheel trued - £18
    New rear mech (upgraded from 2300 to Sora) - £20
    Mech Hanger - £12

So not too bad.......

Anyway, was sunny when I got home from work after my 3 mile hilly commute so I decided to try and go for the 30 miler again.

Jumped on the Giant and off I went.

All went well until 25 miles and then I think i had my 1st bonk.

It was like hitting a wall and I could have so easily stopped, got off and sat down for a while, but I grinded on for the last 5 hilly miles and made it home in one piece.

Only took half a bottle of zipvit energy drink thing so will learn from that that I need something more when going for this long.

Total time was 1hour 50 minutes.

Furthest distance I've ever cycled and most time I've ever spent on a saddle.

Quite pleased with myself, and I'll sleep tonight!

Pat...
  • Pokerface
    Well done Pat. Keep it up and try and go longer next time!

Make sure to take lots of fluids. At least a bottle an hour is recommended, especially if you;re not used to riding long distances!
  • Avoneer
    Gonna try a hilly 40 miler in the morning.

Seem to be confusing myself with 2 threads, so all updates will be on this one in future:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6#16256766

Pat...