new member in essex

nealharv
nealharv Posts: 4
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all just got my new mountain bike(cube acid) and am based in upminster am looking for somewhere to ride,Mainly offroad nothing to extreme.Can any one recommend some places locally?thanks in advance.

Comments

• mf5
    mf5 Posts: 207
    Hi, I ride in essex found danbury is the best for offroad. Been to galleywood as well but there isn't much there. Or also been out to langdon hills near basildon which was good. Thorndon park in brentwood is ok but not the best, good place to start though as its nice and easy riding!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i'll echo the danbury comments it's a wicked place to ride!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... =#16153113

Go to the last couple of pages and you'll see if there are any rides this weekend.

For instance, there is a regular at Thorndon - Robert Pb has been riding Throndon for 40 years, he's quick and knows the trails very well - get yourself over there. As it's dry at the moment, the trails will be great and Robert will take you our for up to 3 or 4 hours, but you cab bail out whenever (you just have to find your way back to where you started on your own!)

Me & my riding buddies are based in Grays, we get over that way most Sundays at abt 9am from the Green Man on the A128 (Herongate).

You're welcome to join.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    mf5 wrote:
    Hi, I ride in essex found danbury is the best for offroad. Been to galleywood as well but there isn't much there. Or also been out to langdon hills near basildon which was good. Thorndon park in brentwood is ok but not the best, good place to start though as its nice and easy riding!

You probably missed most of the trails in Thorndon by your comments, or you just have not been on one of my rides. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mf5
    I think i must of :shock:
    Do you ever do group riding? Me and a mate tried riding over there a few weeks ago but had no joy, would love to know where the good trails are!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    This where you will find our rides. http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... start=1180

One tomorrow at 9am.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • mf5
    I'm working tomorrow but will see if i can come another week!
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    If you transport your bike around, possibilities are endless. Thetford,Swinley forests, Tunnel hiil and finaly the bestest place in South East ... Surrey Hills.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • nealharv
    Thanks for all the suggestions,thordon sounds like a good start nice and local for me.noticed a few rides sat and during the week,sat no good this week but will keep an eye for future rides and maybe tag along.thanks.
  • hollyivy
    hollyivy Posts: 1
    Hi- Epping Forest Mountain Bike Club-they meet on a Saturday-Chingford end of the forest,just google and you'll find them with all the contact details.They are 35 +ish though,don't know if that suits you.If you find anything better can you let me know,I'm in the same boat as you,new to mountain biking, love it but need to expand horizons beyond ploughing the local fields here in Forest Gate
  • nealharv
    Epping forest is not to far for me and the 35 age group is about right,went into my local bike shop today and he also recommended thordon park which seems to come up alot.so will probably give that a try first.cheers.