Stiffee v 08 Stumpy for Morzine?

rinkydinkdink
rinkydinkdink Posts: 60
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Can't make up my mind which to take. Was thinking of swapping the Stiffee's 140 fork with the Stumpy's 120, but not being the most mechanically minded wondered if I could just blast around on the Cove or would I come back needing a new cocxicx. It's been brilliant at Afan and Ktree. Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    been having a similar problem. am going to morzine in july and have always been happy with my stiffee so far. after advice from other riders it seems that brake bumps will be one of the major contributors to not wanting to ride hardtail. My girfriend rides a 2009 stumpy and was thinking of taking that but we have saved up and opted for big bike (Spesh big hit and orange 222) as we will mostly be on the DH routes.
    that isn't to say it will not be possible on your stiffee as i'm sure you know it is a more than capable bike. i just think it will be alot more comfortable on a bigger bike!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • Two days round Kirroughtree on the Cove and think I've made up my mind. Ouch!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Cove... Harcore HT is a better alps bike than a XC FS IMHO.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • As I said, I think I've made up my mind but still not certain.
    Anyone else out there ridden a hartail and a an XC FS in the Alps.
    My thinking is that I could hire one of the really big bikes if the Stiffee isn't coping ---- or should that be if I'm not coping.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hiring bikes in Morzine is an expensive business. But, definitely try it for at least one day - you'll get to experience the DH runs as they were intended!
    Careful with the brakes though, the front/rear brakes are reversed over there, so take an allen key to swap them over before you start your run!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    take the stiffee, its the more capable, but will also show up any weaknes you have, you can always hire a "big" bike out there.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • now, this as always comes with a YMMV warning, and also that I am deffo not extreme to the max, but...

On most the alpine trips we have been on, it has not been the full suspension that was the deciding factor, but more slacker angles. It can be fecking steep and gnarly, and on an XC full sus it will feel a bit mincy and all a bit tottery and flexy.

I have done some DH runs on my stumpy FSR, and whilst the bum was definitely more cushioned, it was not great. Much better fun on a slack hardtail with decent stiff forks.

THey will all get you down the hill, so anything will be OK, but some will give you more enjoyment.

IMO, stick with the stiffee and if you want to go really big, rent something with big bounce at both ends. (that's what I do)

Kev
  • Crikey. Talk about Confused. Dot.
    Suppose we should have driven. Then I could have taken them both.
  • Anonymous
    True, slack angles help, as well as a fantastic fork to absorb all those damn braking bumps :evil: Realistically your legs are the best form of suspension.
    So, between a hardcore hardtail, and an XC full suss, I think I'd go the hardtail route.

Big bike is always best out there though :wink:
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    now, this as always comes with a YMMV warning, and also that I am deffo not extreme to the max, but...

On most the alpine trips we have been on, it has not been the full suspension that was the deciding factor, but more slacker angles. It can be fecking steep and gnarly, and on an XC full sus it will feel a bit mincy and all a bit tottery and flexy.

I have done some DH runs on my stumpy FSR, and whilst the bum was definitely more cushioned, it was not great. Much better fun on a slack hardtail with decent stiff forks.

THey will all get you down the hill, so anything will be OK, but some will give you more enjoyment.

IMO, stick with the stiffee and if you want to go really big, rent something with big bounce at both ends. (that's what I do)

Kev

This guy speaks sense. I think you'd be better off with a slacker head angle than a smidge of rear sus in the alps. You probably wont spent much time sitting down so you'll just have to rely more on you legs for suspension.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Two days round Kirroughtree on the Cove and think I've made up my mind. Ouch!

Kirry is probably the smoothest of all the proper stanes - never had any problems there on a hard tail - maybe you need to let some air out of your back tyre ;)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Or just soak it up more maybe. KT does have some lumpy bits though like rocky road.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jrich wrote:

This guy speaks sense.

Would you mind sending that to my boss?

ta!
  • Cheers guys.
  • still not sure and going tomorrow. any last tips
  • Anonymous
    take both, and still make sure you have one full day on a rented DH bike, at least :D
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Stiffee
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Well I'm taking my Cube AMS next week so you won't be the only one on a not so suitable bike ;-)