Would you fix this tube??

bigcol9
bigcol9 Posts: 17
edited June 2010 in MTB beginners
I have just fixed a tube and I'm not 100% convinced one way or the other whether or not I should have changed it.
Firstly the tube had slime in it. When I picked up the puncture there was some hissing and leaking of slime but the tube did seal its self.
As it was sealed, should I have left it alone at this point??

When I started to repair the tube the hole was right on a seam of the tube and where the multiple seam parts are. It took a lot of rubbing to level these seams a bit for the patch and all the rubbing enlarged the hole to approximately 1.5mm long.

Anyway the tube is back on the bike and fixed.
I'm justifying fixing it cos there was still plenty slime in the tube. What would you have done?

Comments

• Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    IMHO any repair/slime tubes are an emergency get you home measure

when home, replace the whole lot - if you can afford it
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it's working, leave it. I have a ten year old tube with many patches on.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Personally 50/50 as to whether they get repaired or binned. It's difficult to get patches to work properly over the raised bits of the tube. I wouldn't imagine the slime helps the patch stick either.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bigcol9
    bigcol9 Posts: 17
    From the point of view of the slime repair....
    If I know there was a puncture but the slime has done its job, should I leave the tube or fix it?

thanks for the replies BTW :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BITD (before most of you were born) we generally fixed all puntures unless the tube was destroyed.
    A decent repair is as good as new.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    BITD (before most of you were born) we generally fixed all puntures unless the tube was destroyed.
    A decent repair is as good as new.
    Damned right. I'm glad at least someone still fixes their punctures. Seems a hell of a waste to throw a tube away because it's had a puncture.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    But I would pick up that thrown away tube and fix it! Got to love freebies.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though