Supreme Cycle

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, on Saturday I got the train to Mallaig and cycled back home in 2 days. first day started with the superb train journey to Mallaig, a real joy of a journey, with superb scenery with breathtaking views. Started cycling at 2pm in the rain, and loved the road to Arisaig, with views of a misty Isle of Skye. Up past Glenfinnan, and down the opposite side from Ft William. Got drier as i crossed the wee ferry and headed to Glencoe. Managed to make the Kingshouse for about 7.30 and camped there. Great dinner and a few beers.

Next day packed up tent and was on the road for 9.30 with a slight hangover....
Chain broke just short of Tyndrum, but I had a spare, and put it on (dont usually carry a spare chain, but it had broke week before and knew it was on last legs!) However it started jumping in a few gears, so was a little restricted... still, on i went and got home for 5ish. All in 166 miles of superb west central Scotland, and did it at a respectful average of 14.1 mph - not sure whether that is good or not, but with full panniers, and chain trouble, i am very pleased with it!

Just got new cassette fitted, and all ready to go again! Next leg is Mallaig to Durness in 3 weeks.
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The epic Scottish cyclist rides again :D
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Ooooooh what fun! I've got another week of freedom, and am seriously considering doing a coast-skirting 160m ride from here to King's Lynn. I'm surprised it only took you 2 days - how many miles each day? I was thinking more like 3 days for mine.
  • Wallace1492
    Ooooooh what fun! I've got another week of freedom, and am seriously considering doing a coast-skirting 160m ride from here to King's Lynn. I'm surprised it only took you 2 days - how many miles each day? I was thinking more like 3 days for mine.

80 miles on Saturday, and 86 yesterday. Very do-able. Feel like I could have gone further, but even I was not tempted to do a wee detour at the end to get the "ton"! My ass is a little tender today, but now basking in the warm afterglow... Did it in 2 days so I could do the garden today.... and if anything did happen there was always the contingency of the extra day.

Suzy, just loving my cycling just now.... not quite cycing the America's, but who know for next year!! :wink:
  • lost_in_thought

80 miles on Saturday, and 86 yesterday. Very do-able. Feel like I could have gone further, but even I was not tempted to do a wee detour at the end to get the "ton"! My ass is a little tender today, but now basking in the warm afterglow... Did it in 2 days so I could do the garden today.... and if anything did happen there was always the contingency of the extra day.

Suzy, just loving my cycling just now.... not quite cycing the America's, but who know for next year!! :wink:

Fantastic, go you! I'm surprised that far was OK 2 days on the trot, very impressive.

Well, I think I shall ditch plans of booking B&Bs, pop my tent in my panniers and go for it, see how far I get! There's bound to be tons of campsites, and I've got from Wednesday until Sunday if it comes to it.
  • Wallace1492
    Go for it LiT!! Camping and cycling is superb fun.... But as I now know, take as little as possible!! As tent is small, you dont always need a campsite.... somewhere out of the way, and preferrably near a pub!!
  • lost_in_thought
    Go for it LiT!! Camping and cycling is superb fun.... But as I now know, take as little as possible!! As tent is small, you dont always need a campsite.... somewhere out of the way, and preferrably near a pub!!

I really did enjoy the short tour we did last year, fortunately I know a few serious walkers who vetted my luggage for me! And you make a valid point, I'm sure I could convince a landlord to let me camp in the beer garden!
  • suzyb
    Is camping actually comfortable. The thought of it to me, sleeping on the ground with nothing but a tent to protect you from the weather in Britain sounds cold and painful. Yet it seems to be quite popular.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    Is camping actually comfortable. The thought of it to me, sleeping on the ground with nothing but a tent to protect you from the weather in Britain sounds cold and painful. Yet it seems to be quite popular.

It is fantastic!! The fresh air, the soft mattress, the comfortable sleeping bag... the rain, the needing the toilet in the middle of the night, the leaks, the cold, the midges.... :shock: :shock:

But it is wonderful!! :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done - I love that area and I've walked and climbed all over Fort William and Glen Coe - now I need to get the bike up there 8)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Nutters.
  • Jay dubbleU
    prj45 wrote:
    Nutters.

We're not at home to Mr Grumpy :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    the needing the toilet in the middle of the night, the leaks

Hehe

Childish I know, but never the less

Hehe
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Great work Wallace; were you on your own?

What sort of tent did/can you carry? I'd be thinking along the lines of a bivvy tent for something like this, but the thought of waking up at 4.30 with a sheet of wet nylon clinging to my face doesn't really appeal.

What about bike security? Unless you are *really* fond of your bike...

Hmm... wonder where I could go now...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Wallace1492
    davis wrote:
    Great work Wallace; were you on your own?

What sort of tent did/can you carry? I'd be thinking along the lines of a bivvy tent for something like this, but the thought of waking up at 4.30 with a sheet of wet nylon clinging to my face doesn't really appeal.

What about bike security? Unless you are *really* fond of your bike...

Hmm... wonder where I could go now...

Yes, on my own, none of my mates are mad enough...
    I have a small Gelert double skin. Had a small single skin last year, but the trouble is really bad condensation. It is not much bigger than a bivvy bag, but gives enough room to lie in and for the panniers and other stuff. Still, just over coffin size.... Also gets condensation, but not really bad. Did have rain on Saturday night but it held up well. Bike security? I had a lock, but if someone is mad/desperate enough to try and steal a bike in Glencoe, then not much you can do... On previous trips I have locked it to a tree or fence. You just have to be trusting..... :x :shock: Not much crime in the Highlands and the locals usually sort it out before the cops arrive..... :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Two words which restore comfort to camping - 'pee bottle' - no more midnight trips in the rain 8)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Two words which restore comfort to camping - 'pee bottle' - no more midnight trips in the rain 8)

Just make sure it's one with a lid, and not just an empty milk bottle. Don't want to knock it over in the night. O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb
    If anything shows it was the male human that nature designed to do the hunting it is there ability to go for a quick pee anywhere.
  • Jay dubbleU
    suzyb wrote:
    If anything shows it was the male human that nature designed to do the hunting it is there ability to go for a quick pee anywhere.

But now we have the technology

http://www.shewee.com/shops.html
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    the midges.... :shock: :shock:

But it is wonderful!! :lol:

I think I can put up with most things but those Scottish midges, they are something else.

I tried camping next to Loch Linnie at the end of June. I had to surrender after 2 hours and sleep in the car. Never, ever, ever again.
  • lost_in_thought
    Well, due to my decidedly iffy fitness, I managed about 120km today, pesky garmin kept crashing. But here I am, made it from essex to suffolk to norfolk, and to be fair I only left at gone midday. Now happily ensconced in my brilliant new tent, very friendly campsite, good food, nice showers, cheap beer and friendly yokels... wait, I mean locals. Tomorrow, skirting around the coast from Caister to King's Lynn. See if I make it in 2 days. I may just camp again, I like it! It's great heading out and not having the nagging feeling that the further you go out the further you have to go back.....
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited June 2010
    Bravo to the pair of you! Will be doing a bit of an ubercycle myself next month... Loughborough to London with assorted CC/YACF peeps on the 3rd- slightly flatter than the Marmotte (!)- should be about 130 miles for the day. A few more imperial tons planned once I have something working and road bike-shaped....(touch wood, next week).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Absolute nutters.

...... but good on ya
  • suzyb
    Well, due to my decidedly iffy fitness, I managed about 120km today, pesky garmin kept crashing. But here I am, made it from essex to suffolk to norfolk, and to be fair I only left at gone midday. Now happily ensconced in my brilliant new tent, very friendly campsite, good food, nice showers, cheap beer and friendly yokels... wait, I mean locals. Tomorrow, skirting around the coast from Caister to King's Lynn. See if I make it in 2 days. I may just camp again, I like it! It's great heading out and not having the nagging feeling that the further you go out the further you have to go back.....
    And internet access :shock:
  • Wallace1492
    Well done LiT!! there is something superb about touring on a bike, arriving there under your own steam, carring all your own stuff, better still if it is your tent and camping equipment too.

Glencoe this weekend, walking tomorrow, cycling Sunday, but driving there :?

Cant wait to get cycle touring again at the end of the month. Mallaig to Durness, camping all the way, with a group of mates turning up in Ullapool to try and fill me with drink and kybosh the last leg to Durness!! :x :shock: :D
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    And what's wrong with just having a barby in the back garden like normal people? :lol::lol:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Cycle touring is wonderful - couldn't agree more with Wallace about the feeling of satisfaction gained from arriving somewhere pretty under your own steam, carrying everything that you need. Have enjoyed some good riding in Normandy (dirt cheap to cross to Dieppe with a bike) and a sunny 2 days offroad along the Ridgeway.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    This is all quite tempting? I'm interested in what kit people are carrying?

BIvvy tent sounds small and light, but what about sleeping bags and rolls? Mine would use up a lot of pannier space - any recommendations?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    rf6 wrote:
    This is all quite tempting? I'm interested in what kit people are carrying?

BIvvy tent sounds small and light, but what about sleeping bags and rolls? Mine would use up a lot of pannier space - any recommendations?

Terra Nova Jupiter bivvy bag is excellent and has a hoop which keeps the material off your face. Quite a spartan approach though, and I would recommend the Terra Nova Voyager Superlight, which isn't much heavier but has loads of room inside for 2 people and a great awning for cooking in (and for sheltering bags during the night). I own both and think that they are wonderful.

Field and Trek are currently selling Thermarest 3/4 length mats for £35 rather than £70, which is a great deal. They are tiny when packed. Any 2-season sleeping bag will do the trick in summer (down, if you can afford it, packs smaller).

Suggest putting the tent longways ontop of the rear rack, leaving more space in the panniers.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Thanks Gussio, I'll have a look at those. Just found a small lilo type thing in the garage which also packs small, and may be a bit more comfy.
  • lost_in_thought
    @suzyb Smartphone, innit! :-)

Bivvy bag? No chance! I've got a terra nova duolite tourer, google it, it's massive! I also have a coleman sleeping bag, a full length blacks thermarest type thing, a mammut inflatable pillow, an MSR stove and kettle and a cafetiere for my morning coffee, all in 2 34l panniers with clothes etc and room to spare!