Scratches on a carbon frame

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited June 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a Whyte E-120 on demo from my LBS for a couple of days. As you would expect it's got a bit of visible wear and tear, particularly some scratches on the swingarm. Obviously, this wouldn't normally be of concern on a demo bike, but the LBS mentioned that they were thinking of selling it...

So, could the scratches be a problem? They don't look to be anything major - if it was an aluminium frame I'd think they were only cosmetic. But is it more serious with carbon? Can it be repaired or at least improved? Should I steer clear?

Thanks as always for the tolerance of numpty questions and for any help you can give me.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most of the time it is just in the top coat of lacquer and is nothing to be concerned about.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or the "Hero" layer that is just for looks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • monkeylizard
    Can the lacquer or hero layer (whassat?) be restored in any way?
  • supersonic
    I suppose it can be re lacquered or filled, but I'd just leave it, and ensure other vulnerable areas are taped over.

Ask about warranty too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the hero layer is the layer that looks good.

look at scott bikes or some of the focus ones. the carbon you see does very little for strength.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • monkeylizard
    supersonic wrote:
    I suppose it can be re lacquered or filled, but I'd just leave it, and ensure other vulnerable areas are taped over.

Ask about warranty too.

To be honest, I'm more the sort of person who thinks that bikes should be used and abused rather than being treated as ornaments. I just wanted to check in case I become more tarty any time soon :lol:

Just out of interest, what would be a reasonable warranty to expect?
    nicklouse wrote:
    the hero layer is the layer that looks good.

look at scott bikes or some of the focus ones. the carbon you see does very little for strength.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought carbon was carbon - didn't realise there were different layers in terms of appearance. :oops:
  • supersonic
    I would want the same warranty/guarantee as on a new bike.
  • monkeylizard
    Seriously!?

Even on a 2009 model ex-demo? I can't help thinking that seems a bit optimistic.
  • supersonic
    Absolutely. If buying from a shop then I want the full works.

If they can't guarantee an ex demo, doesn't say much about the confidence they hav in it.
  • monkeylizard
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be that optimistic.

But wouldn't I be asking them to guarantee a product beyond what the manufacturer would? Surely there must be a cutoff point in terms of the age of the product where it would be unreasonable to expect a full warranty?

(Apologies that this has gone a bit off-topic).
  • supersonic
    I suppose, but in this case I don't think it is unreasonable. I have seen many ex demo bikes fully guaranteed.
  • monkeylizard
    Well I suppose the first thing I should ask is how much they want for it :lol:

But if that goes well, I'll try to push for a decent warranty - if you don't ask you don't get, and all that...