health issues of commuter cycling

13»

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    rjsterry wrote:
    in this case, knackered old diesel engines.

I'm not to sure about that, I was behind a shiney new Audi (one with 101 exhausts at the back) a few months back queueing up a hill, when the traffic started moving from stand still I chocked and then had an athsma attack!

I have never had that issue on the same hill with any older car with one exhaust!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't know the details but there's a lot of asbestos in older buildings and machinery etc all over the UK and the world. I used to live in a 70s built flat in Islington and the hallway cupboards were asbestos lined. As long as it's in situ and not damaged it's often left in place as to remove it causes a lot of dust to escape. As bestos was used extremely widely through the 60s and 70s it was miracle fire retardant and cheap to produce.

Yep, I have asbestos in my flat and tbh I'm a bit worried how it will affect my attempts to sell it over the next few weeks. Sigh.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I would heartedly recommend reading Ben Goldacre's "Bas Science" book if you want to find yourself ranting at appalling 'scientific' journalism. I now have a habit of reading the LAST paragrpah of a story first, as the bland facts tend to be hidden there.

I 100% support what Ben Goldacre does but I find his writing style a mixture of dry and annoying - his articles annoy me more than what they're debunking!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,737
    biondino wrote:
    I would heartedly recommend reading Ben Goldacre's "Bas Science" book if you want to find yourself ranting at appalling 'scientific' journalism. I now have a habit of reading the LAST paragrpah of a story first, as the bland facts tend to be hidden there.

I 100% support what Ben Goldacre does but I find his writing style a mixture of dry and annoying - his articles annoy me more than what they're debunking!

I think I'd have to agree with you a bit there. Perhaps the soul-destroying grind of having to deal with crappy Daily Mail 'journalism' has beaten all the joy out of him.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,163
    Riatsala wrote:
    I have seen two articles this weekend about how it is bad for your health to commute in cities by bicycle. This apparantly is due to the higher quantity of particles you inhale. Has anyone else read this? Does anyone else have some counter arguements?
    Different sorts of particle problems in the countryside though: the bluebottle sized ones are quite painful and if it's dusty that can temporarily blind you. Face full of horse, cow, sheep and dog sh1t when it's raining can't be too good either.

I still think it's better than sitting in a car in a traffic jam.
  • milan_ns
    milan_ns Posts: 49
    Not a good news for Londoners:

UK receives 'final warning' over air pollution
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10231389.stm