Idiot Drivers & Drivers Abusing Cyclists. Your story's..

Karl2010
Karl2010 Posts: 511
edited June 2010 in The bottom bracket
Here are my few storys....

1)
Was driving down a country road today, came around a tight bend and some arse hole nearly hit me head on. He was over taking a cyclist on a blind bend.

Fair play for giving the rider plenty of room, but for goodness sake wait until the road ahead is clear.
I had to slam on hard and skidded almost to a halt. The cyclist looked at what nearly happened and i could tell he was thinking "f**king idiot".

If id have been going any faster it would have been a mess.

2)
Don't ride your bike down the COASTAL ROAD that runs from Ainsdale to Southport. Every time I go down there some c**t honks their horn or shouts abuse out the window. Its happened at least 3 times and i've only been down there on the bike about 6 times so if you go there that makes it a 1:2 chance of getting abused!

I always make a note of what car it was and hope to catch them when they hit traffic or traffic lights. I used to react to their abuse but now I just get on with it, and hope to catch up with them further down the road.

3)
Years ago I saw a cyclist ride past my car and boot the wing mirror off the car in front! Then he gave the two finger salute to the driver and rode off. That really made me smile! :)
Strangely enough that also happened on the above mentioned Coastal Road.
(what is it about that road?)

4)
My brothers mate was riding to work and some f**ker drove through a puddle and soaked him on purpose and was laughing his head off in the comfort of his car. About 100 yards up the road the driver was stopped at traffic lights and my bro's mate was hammering on this guys window. The driver totaly s**t his pants and wouldn't even look my bro's mate in the eye. What a s**t house?? haha

So come on lets here about when you've caught up with a nob head driver.

Comments

• Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I was cycling along minding my own buisness the other morning when a soft top sports car zoomed past me.About 300yrds further down the road there were some temp traffic lights where the sports car was waiting fot the lights.I pulled up infront of the car only to be greeted with "ooh you've got nice legs sexy" by the two young female occupance.I felt completely sexualy abused&still have'nt recoverd.
  • Airwave wrote:
    ...I pulled up infront of the car only to be greeted with "ooh you've got nice legs sexy" by the two young female occupance...
    Pure envy on their part, no doubt.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Me and me bro call that coastal road n*bhead alley. Its longer than you think an dif you sit up for a breather theres always a revving engine behind.

I know theres a footpath on the other side but its full of potholes and the last time I moved from the road to the footpath some git walking his dog walked right out in front of me. I went a*se over and he walked off.

Trouble is I'll be cycling up the coastal road next week to see the tour series in southport, ha ha

I had the car bike experience in reverse last week. Was in the car going over a railway bridge which bends to the right. In front was a fat guy on a bike spinning like mad to get over it. So we stayed well behind. The sound of teh car must hav efazed him cos he indicated for us to overtake, as we did so a tractor came in the opposite direction so we had to hold back.

When we could see teh coast was clear we over took, I wound teh window down to tell him thanks for telling us when the coat was clear when he turned to use and called us a*sholes.

Charming. any one else probably would have got out and decked him.

live and learn eh.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Yeah that coast road is particulary between Ainsdale and Southport, if a middle age bloke starts in an elderly Volvo starts giving you grief (it was a few years ago), try flirting with his daughter also in the car, it really winds them up :D
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    riding along the mumbles chav tried to push me off on his way past in corsa, tw@t didnt see traffic lights that driver had to stop at or my fist smack him in the head!!

And funny non of his mates in the back fancied getting out!

Two wrongs do not make a right but beleive me i felt soooo much better!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    top the OP

i live in southport too and everytime i go down there i encounter a moron also! it's such a dangerous road i avoid it at all costs usually but sometimes im in a hurry.

never go down it at night as you will more then likely get killed by some chav in a Boy racer!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Well its official then. Stay away from the Coastal Road / N0b head ally in Ainsdale / Southport.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Too many to occasions.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • 1footedninja
    1footedninja Posts: 269
    edited June 2010
    perfectly quiet T junction, I'm coming up to the end of the junction getting ready to turn right, car comes from blind corner from left and cuts right across my lane to go down road past me, this is without stopping to check if any other traffic coming to end of road, I give the V's & a big F**k you, you dangerous ar5ehole, they brake, beeping their horn at me, I give more abuse, they carry on beeping & go to reverse back at me, I cycle off as I was cycling off anyway whilst this is going on - the bit Im worried about though is I think it could have been my best mates mum in the car & she's like a pitbull - scary as hell! - I'm scared to go round theirs now lol

:shock: not only will she batter me but I've lost out on potential cake visits!! even though she clearly drives like a fooking loony I will just have to stand tall on this one, hope she doesnt try and rolling pin me!!
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got abused by a drunk in the middle of the road a year or so ago. He was calling me a cnut etc, wobbling round with a can of lager with his mates egging him on from the pavement. I was about 10 yards from him rolling along at about 14 mph and he turned his back on me, so I sped up a little, unclipped my right foot and kicked him as hard as I could, right up his arrse. He started screaming and clutching his bum, as i waved goodbye and sped off up the road. :D

Happy memories. :D
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Karl2010 wrote:
    Here are my few storys....

2)
    Don't ride your bike down the COASTAL ROAD that runs from Ainsdale to Southport. Every time I go down there some c**t honks their horn or shouts abuse out the window. Its happened at least 3 times and i've only been down there on the bike about 6 times so if you go there that makes it a 1:2 chance of gettin.
    I would never ride on that stretch of road, it has regular deaths, usually motorcyclists..It`s just too dangerous and there is a cycle path. The bit after the roundabout is OK cos the speed limit drops to 30mph, i`ve only been honked there or told to use the path about 4 times in nearly 3 years. It would be nice to give them a copy of the highway code which says you should use the road if doing above 18mph, not the paths. {I hope that`s right, I read it on bikeradar}.

My complaint is tractors on narrow lanes who overtake too close and nearly take your head off and drive towards you with bits sticking out that could slice your legs off and don`t slow down at all or move over. Terrifying.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • perfectly quiet T junction, I'm coming up to the end of the junction getting ready to turn right, car comes from blind corner from left and cuts right across my lane to go down road past me, this is without stopping to check if any other traffic coming to end of road, I give the V's & a big F**k you, you dangerous ar5ehole, they brake, beeping their horn at me, I give more abuse, they carry on beeping & go to reverse back at me, I cycle off as I was cycling off anyway whilst this is going on - the bit Im worried about though is I think it could have been my best mates mum in the car & she's like a pitbull - scary as hell! - I'm scared to go round theirs now lol

:shock: not only will she batter me but I've lost out on potential cake visits!! even though she clearly drives like a fooking loony I will just have to stand tall on this one, hope she doesnt try and rolling pin me!!

A helmet might protect you in such a situation.... :wink:
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Airwave wrote:
    I was cycling along minding my own buisness the other morning when a soft top sports car zoomed past me.About 300yrds further down the road there were some temp traffic lights where the sports car was waiting fot the lights.I pulled up infront of the car only to be greeted with "ooh you've got nice legs sexy" by the two young female occupance.I felt completely sexualy abused&still have'nt recoverd.
    Nearly got taken out by a chav in a Ford Asbo tonight, but later in the ride was waiting at a junction and got wolf-whistled by a guy in a 4x4, which cheered me up! (First time I've been whistled at on the bike so was quite flattered! :oops: )
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Loads of times, usually involving a Chelsea Tractor, a BMW or a van. Almost exclusively on my commute or at school run times too. Funny that!
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    I once got shouted at outside Hythe by a volvo driver towing a caravan for holding up the traffic - oh the irony!!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    This happened a few years ago... I was cycling wth a mate, who was a few metres ahead. A local council van overtook me, indicating left. He made the turn, but luckily I was aware enough to be able to slam on my brakes and also make the turn inside him. He stopped, got out of his van, came over calling me a "Fcuking Cyclist" and attempted to throw a punch, then went back to his van and drove off. I didn't even get to say a single word or make one gesture to show what I felt about his manouvre!

I was only about 16 at the time and was too surprised to do anything. Had it been now I'd have been in touch with the council with his registration number. Having said that, I've never experienced anything like that since.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I get regular abuse from pedestrians (strange Lincolnshire hobby I think). There's the usual pavement jostling by the locals, pushing eachother to see if they can get one of their idiotic inbred number in the road in front of me.

I just shout 'FAT CHAV' as I pass.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    My former landlord (who was the worst landlord on earth, I had to threaten him with the police and legal action to stop him turning up at my new house, parents house, friends houses etc) drove past me the other day and yelled "where's your solicitor now you F***ing c**t?!"

I thought to myself "still awaiting your response to her letter from 2 years ago" and smiled.

As regards council employees, a council van once overtook me in my car on a mini-roundabout, pulling to the wrong side of 2 traffic islands to do so. I took the reg and rang up to complain, within the day they had the driver phone me to apologise!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    ...but you bins haven't been emptied in 10 years :lol:
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    As a youngsters, a friend and I were rather badly cut up but some angry fat bloke in a rep car, he hung about long enough to shout abuse before he drove off laughing. We picked ourselves up and carried on only to happen upon him later stuck in traffic about 5 mins later. As the road was a slight down hill were were picking up a fair bit of speed and without a word between us we both instinctively knew what needed to be done.

One left, one right, feet out, mirrors gone!

It all happened so fas, obviously wouldn't do such a thing now but it was great at the time.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    riding along the mumbles chav tried to push me off on his way past in corsa, tw@t didnt see traffic lights that driver had to stop at or my fist smack him in the head!!

And funny non of his mates in the back fancied getting out!

Two wrongs do not make a right but beleive me i felt soooo much better!

I think you'll find that in cases such as this, two wrongs do actually make a right.

I've a mate who's not keen on abuse or being cut up by drivers, and where possible, likes to chase them down to advise them of their mistake. The tw@t he managed to pull out of his car through the open driver's window was left in no doubt that his earlier wrong had now been righted.
  • Whilst heading home from a ride around Richmond Park with the ex girlfiend we were driving along Roehampton Gate which has a very adequate cycle path on the footpath. This rather narrow stretch of road was however taken up by father and son combo riding side by side at an absolute snails pace blocking the entire lane and the constant stream of oncoming traffic made it impossible to safely overtake. I therefore politely gave them a beep as the traffic slowly built up behind me in the hope they would at least move over to the kerb and allow us all to pass. This was met with the father flipping me the bird. OK I thought I'm in London and thats what Londoners do to each other, don't bite, your better than that (being from the country an all), I again gave a polite beep which was further exaggerated by the car behind me giving a rather more aggressive honk. The father turned and ranted something in my direction and in doing so swerved to the right nearly hitting a car coming the other way. After deciding that I would rather get home in one piece than be mauled by an angry father and his pre-pubescent ginger haired slightly overweight son I sat back and crept along to the sounds of the cars behind me honking and the fathers continued bird flipping and wafting across the other lane.

The comedy began when we stopped at the traffic lights at the end of the road and he decided that in some moronic show of strength to his son he would attempt to start a fight with me for my menacing behaviour and stood at my window offering me out of the car. I did the adult thing and got out to talk to him, I explained that the bike path next to him was free and he could have used that to avoid all this hassle and as a fellow cyclist my opinion that riding two abreast on a narrow road is not safe and caused a hinderance to other road users. He however disagreed and in his best tough guy stance he shoved me against my car. I turned to look at my girlfriends reaction (as more often than not she was more sensible than me and her facial expressions often let me know whether or not I should react with my brain or my fists) to then realise that the gentlemans son was staring at her breasts through the car window with a look on his face I am sure all men are aware they have made when met with a fantastic pair of bangers in a sports bra after a long summer ride (or is it just me?)

I then decided that the best way to not get arrested was to tell his son to keep his eyes to himself and his dad to go and get anger management lessons and get back in the car. Upon turning right at the traffic lights I realised they were chasing us down the road until we were stopped at some more traffic lights where they got on each side of the car and grabbed the door frames whilst I drove off at the green light. I stopped as quickly and as safely as I could once I realised they were not going to let go and again was met with a barrage of abuse. It was only the interjection of two roadies who stopped to see if they could help solve the arguement that calmed the angry cyclists down enough for them to ride off into the sun set.

I would have let them both have it both barrels but to be honest I was having too much fun and assaulting one of them would have most likely seen me in a police cell for the evening.

It just goes to show that whilst their are many arrogant rude drivers with no consideration for the safety of others on our roads, their are still some arrogant rude cyclists with no consideration for their own safety out their giving the rest of us a bad name.
    I wish I was Kenny "F@#king" Powers
  • got a coke can thrown at me.

they missed, but I just happened to be drinking from a very full 1kg bidon at the time.

first instinct was to throw it.

one broken window later they decided it would be better to promptly exit the scene at 60mph.

:lol:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I was run off the road last bank holiday by an on-coming car whose driver decided that a cyclist being on the road was no impediment to a very fast overtake. I slammed on the brakes and went into the verge and she missed me by a few inches - the driver of the car she overtook waved sorry!
  • Karl2010 wrote:
    3)
    Years ago I saw a cyclist ride past my car and boot the wing mirror off the car in front! Then he gave the two finger salute to the driver and rode off. That really made me smile! :)
    Strangely enough that also happened on the above mentioned Coastal Road.
    (what is it about that road?)

Would you have smiled if he had kicked the mirror off your car ? :roll:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    To be honest on my journeys by both bike and car (25000 miles plus a year by car and will probably do around 3000 miles by bike this year) I see a fair share of idiots in all sorts of vehicles from artics to bikes but in my experience I would say there are a greater proportion of idiots riding bikes than there are driving. Whilst the instinct is to react when some knob head decides to abuse you for riding safely and legally it is far better to just ignore them as no matter how hard you think you are they have the advantage of being in a ton or more of steel cage and whether intentionally or not can do you a lot of damage. Most of these people are just idiots whether they are in a car or not. If they do something genuinely dangerous and deliberate then take their number and report them, it probably won't make any difference but it may get recorded and if they then end up involved in a future incident with a cyclist could go against them. Being confrontational in return doesn't help anyone and even if you feel you've won the day it is likely to result in them becoming even more anti cyclist with possibly serious consequences for someone else. Just rise above it.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    A couple of years ago I was indicating to turn right on a narrow, 20mph limit, street when a convertable BMW (what else?) decided to overtake... On the right. I'd looked before I turned, was just about to pull in and I heard the gear change.

Anyway, I hope he enjoyed getting the purple PSP from the bottle i lobbed off the suede on the back seats.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent