Caucchioli banned

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,103
edited June 2010 in Pro race
Pietro Caucchioli has been banned for two years based on his biological passport data;

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1

I wonder if the ban is back dated, as this was announced last June wasn't it?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's an important step for the bio passport, another case that has been brought thanks to the evidence presented. Rumour has it that bigger names are being lined up but the UCI, along with WADA and others, is nailing the smaller guys first to ensure it is legal and riders can't overturn bans by appeal.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:
    It's an important step for the bio passport, another case that has been brought thanks to the evidence presented. Rumour has it that bigger names are being lined up but the UCI, along with WADA and others, is nailing the smaller guys first to ensure it is legal and riders can't overturn bans by appeal.

but the biopassport seems to have loopholes you can drive a bus through...the big guys will have Drs better than Ashenden on the case
  • Kléber
    You can present data that won't ring alarm bells but it is hard to keep this up all year round. It won't fix everything but it does make life a lot harder for the cheats.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kléber wrote:
    You can present data that won't ring alarm bells but it is hard to keep this up all year round. It won't fix everything but it does make life a lot harder for the cheats.

I agree with that. I may be wrong here but I kind of view the passport as some sort of heuristic algorithm - as the "game time" increases, it gradually learns your ducks and dodges until you can't do anything to beat it.

Well, that's maybe an exaggeration, but hopefully it will be a bit like that...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Kléber wrote:

was the way Landis had to show Ashenden 6 years agos tricks....very depressing stuff, not to mention frei only being caught out cause the system was so easy he relaxed too much.

Surely the big guys will continue with their brazen attitude and dope?
  • Kléber
    In some ways it forces determined cheats to microdose all year round for the length of their career. A holiday away or a weeks on a stage race, no matter, they will potentially have to keep topping up in order to avoid a drop in the levels. If riders aren't informed about the health risks of this, they'll soon realise the cost to their bank account.