fast wheels for lighter riders

turbo_hamster
turbo_hamster Posts: 122
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
The advice is to choose two out of "light, strong, cheap". Makes sense to me.

I want (relatively) light wheels to upgrade from my Aksium Race wheels with Pro-3 23mm tyres. There is a good chance that next birthday, Mr TC will offer to get me some nice wheels.

What I don't know is how strong I really need them to be, given that I ride at about 8 and a half stone (including kit). Is it worth compromising on strength to get sub-£500 wheels? Or is it not about body weight, but more about the sort of roads and riding style you have?

I wondered what non-TT specific wheels lighter-weight riders are using for time-trials/fast training/sportives. ( I exclude TT wheels as I plan to do both sportives and time trials on the "good" wheels unless the weather or roads are really dreadful).

So what are you riding on? And what would you upgrade to, given the chance?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    American Classic AC420s are pretty fast and light - not the stiffest laterally but are fine for lighter riders. You might also find some Campagnolo Eurus for £470 (Total Cycling)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for these suggestions. I use Shimano, so the American Classic looksf more interesting. I've found a bike shop that stocks the brand so a visit will be happening soon!

I'm still interested in what other light-weight riders are using for fast work. Do they use the same wheels as everyone else, or do they find they can get away with lighter wheels for the same money?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano Dura Ace carbon laminate clinchers or www.wheelsmith.co.uk IRD Cadence Road/CX Ray/Extralight wheels would be good.

Not tried the American Classics but heard lots of good things about them.