Tips for riding shots... plz

Matt N
Matt N Posts: 160
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Pretty much what is says above. Any good ideas or styles to try? Going on biking holiday to Scotland so would like to get some good shots,
thanks
If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Action shots? or scenery?
  • XCMark
    XCMark Posts: 55
    This was on Photo Radar a while ago, might be of some use.
    http://www.photoradar.com/techniques/te ... ke-a-pro-0
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if it's an action shot, set the camera to shutter priority, and set the shutter so that's there's just a hint of motion blur, helps make things look a bit more dramatic. The actual shutter speed will vary of course depending on the speed of the bike.
    Try and take shots whilst the rider is doing something interesting, like cranked over on a bend, or when there's visibly a lot of air between the rider and ground.

If you're taking pictures of someone doing a jump on a trail, be careful with your angles. Taking the shot from the wrong angle can make it look like the bike is only a few millimetres from the ground, this is especially true of directly side-on angles.

An interesting shot can be done (much easier if you have a tripod) by looking directly down the trail so the rider is coming straight at you. Set the camera to somewhere between 1/20th or 1/10th shutter speed, and then zoom out WHILST the camera is taking the shot. gives an interesting blur from the central point

If you're in a dark area, use a rear curtain flash so that the rider will be crisply lit.

if the rider is coming past you at speed, try panning the camera to keep the bike nearly central in shot as he/she goes past, this will result in the rider being fairly crisp, whilst the background blurs considerably to give an impression of speed.

And finally, if you want shots to look a little more interesting, try what's become known as the "MBUK" angles :lol: - this means, if you're taking a shot of someone riding down a steep trail, try tilting the camera slightly off vertical to slightly exaggerate the steepness of the hill.

Good luck, post the pics when you get back :D
  • Matt N
    thanks a lot everyone, sorry i was late replying - went away for the weekend. it was actions shots and those are some great ideas, hopefully i'll have some good pics to post by later july! can't wait to go :D

’My Spesh’
  • Anonymous
    Went to a motorcycle race meet yesterday, had to adapt techniques quite a bit, as the speeds are completely mental! Got some images up on my Flickr page (link in my sig.)
  • Matt N
    Ye harder to get those ones as crisp given the speed but you seemed to do ok! obviously a man of many talents!
    3289 and 3401 have to be my favourites, some beautiful natural shots aswell... shame there was only one mtbing pic though ;)

’My Spesh’
  • Anonymous
    Well, I used to take my old fuji with me on the bike, but it didn't take very good pictures. I tend to keep Flickr for my best ones.
    As soon as my riding buddy recovers from chemo, I'll definitely have a few more MTB shots up there.