Orbea (first road bike)

MancTommo
MancTommo Posts: 9
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi All
I am looking at buying my first road bike through my work cycle scheme. I have my eye on a Orbea Onix TTG CT for £1279.
Too be honest I have never heard of Orbea, but I really like this bike. I have done some research on Orbea, and it seems to be positive, anyone got any thoughts about the bike, is it a good first choice?
Gary

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Stand back, the Orbea owners club will be through shortly...
    And they all love their Onyx's... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • wolftone
    wolftone Posts: 24
    I am on the cyclescheme and have a limit of £1000. According to my lbs you cannot make up an additional shortfall yourself. The total price has to be £1000 or less. Hence my request for info on the orbea Aqua T105 for a grand. I am pleased with the responces so far, but would like some more reassurance from other Orbea users.
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    I own an Orbea an Orca to be precise and I am very happy with it
    Dont think you would be unhappy with one but you really need to try it first if possible
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    hopper1 wrote:

We sure do! Great bikes - thoroughly recommended.

In fact, I don't ride mine - I just look at it in a trance of admiration.

John
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    hopper1 wrote:

:D:D:D 'nuff said :D:D
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    Rode a few bikes, looking to get my first carbon, including Trek Madone, Specialized Tarmac and Cube GTC Pro.

I found the Orbea Onix to be the best overall bike surprisingly. Best mix of comfort, handling and feel for me. Also looks the best which is nice.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    hopper1 wrote:

Pot, kettle, black ........................... :lol::wink: ...............................
    hopper1 wrote:
    I had a lower spec version of that, and was very impressed with the frame/forks, still haveit in my garage, too.
    I like the Orbea bikes.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Aggieboy wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

Pot, kettle, black ........................... :lol::wink: ...............................
    hopper1 wrote:
    I had a lower spec version of that, and was very impressed with the frame/forks, still haveit in my garage, too.
    I like the Orbea bikes.

I was referring to the arbon owners... Mine is alloy/carbon, and I don't ride it anymore, so it just looks pretty on my garage wall! :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    As an Onix owner I'm not going to recommend one to you as I like the feeling of exclusivity I have amongst the hordes of Trek and Speciallized owners :wink:
  • Chrissz
    markos1963 wrote:
    As an Onix owner I'm not going to recommend one to you as I like the feeling of exclusivity I have amongst the hordes of taky be-stickered tTrek and Speciallized owners :wink:

:D:D:D
  • Russell Smith
    Russell Smith Posts: 229
    2 and a Half years in lovin' my Orbea, nearly 4k done , and it got me to Newcastle this spring you'll be getting something slightly different from the norm, your own little bit of individualism :):):) Orbea owners club yes indeedee....

www.veloandblue.com
  • Chrissz
    Orbea owners club yes indeedee....

www.veloandblue.com

Lets keep it nice and exclusive :D
  • Chrissz
    MancTommo wrote:
    Hi All
    I am looking at buying my first road bike through my work cycle scheme. I have my eye on a Orbea Onix TTG CT for £1279.
    Too be honest I have never heard of Orbea, but I really like this bike. I have done some research on Orbea, and it seems to be positive, anyone got any thoughts about the bike, is it a good first choice?
    Gary

Hopefully by now mate you've worked out that you can get a bike or you can get an Orbea - it's a lifestye choice LOL.

Join the herd or be an individual? :wink:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I've got an Orbea Orca. It's quite simply the nicest bike I've ever seen.

It rides beautifully and is very comfortable, even over long distances.
  • MancTommo
    wolftone wrote:
    I am on the cyclescheme and have a limit of £1000. According to my lbs you cannot make up an additional shortfall yourself. The total price has to be £1000 or less. Hence my request for info on the orbea Aqua T105 for a grand. I am pleased with the responces so far, but would like some more reassurance from other Orbea users.

I have put the £1000 through cycle scheme, and I am paying the £279 when I pick it up... noone has said I cannot do this, shop were fine too. :)
  • MancTommo
    Thank you for all your comments... seems like I have made a worthy choice, and also something a little different, which suits me fine!

The bike is now ordered, and is coming in the new colour of white and silver. It looks amazing!!

Chrissz... Looks like its a lifestyle choice for me

Cheers everyone

:D
  • Chrissz
    MancTommo wrote:
    Chrissz... Looks like its a lifestyle choice for me

:D

:lol::lol::lol: Welcome to our little clan :lol::lol::lol:
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    markos1963 wrote:
    Bu&&er, another one's in the club now :wink:

If this goes on I'll have to resort to lacquering my frame in butterflies to retain some exclusivity.

John
  • wolftone
    Manc Tommo. Where abouts in Hampshire are you based? Is the scheme you are buying your bike on called "cyclescheme"? If so, which shop are you using as I will come over and get one there myself?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Can you get Aquas with Campagnolo Mirage? (I've looked but not found) I'm contemplating a new commuter bike which I want to keep to around £7-£800 but I couldn't despoil any road bike with ugly Shimano shifters :lol: (personal taste thing - prefer Shimano on my MTB, Campagnolo for road).

I can get a Mirage Bianchi for that sort of price but the Orbea geommetry is much closer to what I need. And they look cool in black and orange!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wolftone
    Rolf. You can get an Aqua TVL with Campagnola Veloce but i've no idea how much it will cost. You can also get an Onix with Campag Centaur.
  • wolftone
    The Aqua TVL costs £1070, just outside of the cyclescheme limit. Unless I can buy it where Manc Tommo is buying his.