water trapped in frame

feltar3
feltar3 Posts: 4
edited June 2010 in Workshop
Hi I have Felt ar3, and i have just noticed that it is filling with water at bottom bracket and sounds trapped, i have removed seat post and only very small amounts come out !!!! this is from riding in the rain yesterday not a power wash or hose down, it sounds real bad and a weight issue, has anybody had the same problem? I will be getting in contact with Felt tommorrow asap, any advise much appreciate.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    If you have a cable guide, bolted to the bottom of the BB, take the screw out.
    Any fluid in that area should drain, ok.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • feltar3
    hopper1 wrote:
    If you have a cable guide, bolted to the bottom of the BB, take the screw out.
    Any fluid in that area should drain, ok.
    just checked bottom bracket has no screw, cable comes straight out of frame into a sleeve which is rivited on to frame there is a drain hole, but nothing coming out and is not blocked.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    :idea: You can also try blasting the water out with a high pressure air gun.
  • feltar3
    :idea: You can also try blasting the water out with a high pressure air gun.
    Yea i could but this does does not seem right on a brand new bike !!!!!!!! and every time it rains the bike is getting heavier, this is not right, thanks for the advise going to see the dealer tommorow :cry: see what they have to say probably say dont ride in the rain.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I had this problem and found that the water was getting in around the seat post. I dried the bike out by leaving it in the sun on a hot day with the seat post removed, after I'd poured as much as I could out. I then cut a section of old inner tube ca. 3 cm long and fitted it over the junction of the seat post and frame, like a boot on a car CV joint. Stopped water off the road via back wheel getting in.
  • synchronicity
    Also have a look for other holes as entry points for the water.
    Preventiona is better than cure.
    Sometimes you get little holes on the insides of the chainstays & seatstays (ironically to let water out). Cable stops & water bottle boses can be a source for water entry also, depending on their deisgn.
  • synchronicity
    Also have a look for other holes as entry points for the water.
    You know - prevention is better than cure. :o
    Sometimes you get little holes on the insides of the chainstays & seatstays (ironically to let water out). Cable stops & water bottle boses can be a source for water entry also, depending on their deisgn.
  • I recently purchased a Felt B12 and have just noticed the same after a ride in the wet, what did you dealer say?
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Must be fairly common as there was a section in my Cannondale user manual on this, and it says to take seat post out and leave it upside to allow water to drain
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org