creaky carbon or creaky crank

biggayal
biggayal Posts: 35
edited June 2010 in Your road bikes
Ribble Gran Fondo creaks like an old man when i stand up and pedal regardless of how much effort i put in, but doesn't when i sit down and pedal just as hard. Is this just the nature of carbon or is mine duff. Groupset is campag centaur with the carbon cranks 10s. I have noticed Ribble have fitted a super record 11s BB, could this have something to do with it and its the cranks that creak and not the frame

Comments

• Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    I have the same thing mate, from a Ribble none the less. Still haven't got it fixed but I took to a bike shop and the guy said with most mass produced bought bikes, alot of the time the bottom bracket won't get greased as they want to get them out of the door ASAP thus causing a (very irritating) creaking. I didn't let em fix it as they were gonna charge me 40 - 50 squid to regrease it but apparantly that's what is.
  • biggayal
    biggayal Posts: 35
    Just ordered a bb tool, gonna strip it down and have a look.
    Also i checked the link from above, i've got look keo pedals and a lot of people are pointing the finger at them, i've got some old look arc carbon pro pedals, gonna put them on and see, only problem is keo cleats don't fit the old looks, have to change cleats on my shoes, pain in the @rse but the creaking is winding me up
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    you're on the wrong forum fella - this forum is for posting up pics of your bike. You need to be asking this in the workshop forum.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Will.C wrote:
    I have the same thing mate, from a Ribble none the less. Still haven't got it fixed but I took to a bike shop and the guy said with most mass produced bought bikes, alot of the time the bottom bracket won't get greased as they want to get them out of the door ASAP thus causing a (very irritating) creaking. I didn't let em fix it as they were gonna charge me 40 - 50 squid to regrease it but apparantly that's what is.

If my Ribble build (Sportive) is anything to go by there will be grease aplenty. The time gain for not greasing is seconds, what you are more likely to have is excess grease being squeezed out all over due to over-aplication and then not taking the time to wipe off.
    £40-£50 sound quite a lot for the most common culprit, the front quick release being overtightened!
    It could also be the pedals, the handlebar/stem junction etc.

There is a multi page thread in WORKSHOP dedicated to the subject.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Most deffo the cranks mate as far as I can tell. I check and double check headset, stem and bars are nice and tight before every ride along with pedals and crank arms. The creaking occurs in and out of the saddle but more when pressure is applied (hills for example). I've sat on it inside up against a wall and pedal'd backwards and it's still creaked.

Sorry to hijack
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    workshop xxxxxxxxxxxxxx workshop
    going downhill slowly
  • alkaseltsa
    alkaseltsa Posts: 11
    Could be your knees... mine started doing the same when i turned 40 :lol:
    Teaspoon of cod liver oil a day sorted mine!