MTB or Hybrid for the heavyweights?

mnid1977
mnid1977 Posts: 13
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. I've recently enrolled for the cycle2work scheme with my employer as they are withdrawing out subsided bus tickets and so i thought cycling would be a good alternative and also help me get a bit healthier (i'm just over 22st).

I've had a look at halfords as that is where I have to get my bike from and I'm debating as to whether to opt for a Carrera Fury http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518247_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 (and then swap the tyres for something more commuter friendly) of do I opt for the hybrid GT Zum S1 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512531_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

One of my main beefs is that no store near me has the GT in stock so I cant have a proper look at it or a test ride but I want to make sure which ever I opt for will be able to cope with me and the terrain (mainly roads with the odd trail path thrown in!).

Any recommendations folks?

DH
Commuting on a Boardman MTB Comp with slicks.....

23st 1lb and shrinking.....

Pic 1

Pic 2

Comments

• Hi there,

I don't know for certain about these two bikes, but I'd go out on a limb and say that most bikes will be fairly comfortable holding your weight, if not then they should say on the tag.

Personally, I'm a roadie and like to travel fast, so I don't see the point of a mountain bike over a hybrid if you aren't going up and down mountains; the suspension is a extra weight and unless you are on a mountain trail, you don't much need it.

Have you looked at the Boardman bikes? I've yet to hear a bad word about them, and the Performance Hybrid Comp is cheaper than the two you linked to.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I would agree.

Any mainstream bike should be able to handle your weight. high end racing bikes are a bit different but they will come with recommended max rider weights and you're not likely to be in that territory with a C2W scheme budget

if you plan to do some mountainbiking then by all means get a mountainbike, but for the road a hybrid, race bike or touring bike will see you covering ground faster and will likely be more comfy on the commute and a proper MTB

Also, whatever you go for (but most likely you'll encounter this looking at hybrids or MTBs), I'd avoid anything with a suspension fork unless you plan on riding off road. They're not really a lot more comfortable than a nice curved steel or carbon fork and it's just more weight and moving parts that need maintaining.

keep it simple and stuff will last longer, hub gears are great for low maintenance commuting, test ride and make sure the size is right. nothing worse than riding a bike that's too big for you
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    i would say the Fury would be better.

the Fury has a better brake and the suspension will give you the option to go off road.
    the fork stated that its has speed lock (lock-out as it also known as) which you can just lock it when on the road.

also it cheaper that the GT and you will have more money for a better lock or a pair of slick tyres
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    I weigh just over 21 stone and i tend to think that the mountain bike would be the better choice. I have owned a Principia rex racing bike and a Trek mountain bike and i find that the mountain bike is far more comfortable. Semi slick tyres are a must. Just a thought it may be a wise to prepare for some bum ache and buy some padded shorts.
    Hope it works out all fine for you mate.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    kev2b3 wrote:
    Just a thought it may be a wise to prepare for some bum ache and buy some padded shorts.

Even after a short break out of the saddle mines a bit sore for a week or so till I toughen up lol. I wouldn't even get on the bike without padded shorts now.
  • mnid1977
    Guys,

Many thanks for all your advice.

I managed to look at a Zum S2 today to give me an idea of what the Zum1 would be like and for my mind I somehow seemed to prefer to sway on the side of the Fury with slicker tyres.....

That was until one of the staff in the halfords pointed me in the direction of a Boardman with the same suggestion - to change out the tyres. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_502089_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

I must admit I quite liked but know I would need a bigger and softer saddle. :roll:

I've tried to up my voucher value online today so all being well thats what I'll opt for!! :D

Once again thanks for your support

DH

Pic 1

Pic 2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take a look at the GT Aggressor MTBs - tend to be more solidly built than others at this price.

Make sure the dealer tensions the wheels correctly.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I`ve got a mate at work who`s got the Fury and he likes it whereas I`ve got a Boardman and I love it so I guess it`s personal choice as usual
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have a rigid steel framed GT 29er which is kind of the best of both worlds - I've swapped the MTB tyres for Schwalbe Marathons and the bigger wheels work well on potholed streets. Discs are excellent for quick stopping in traffic.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I have an older GT and love it (the frame appears tough as old boots) but fitting accessories such as a rack or child seat is a pain due to the triple triangle configuration. That said I have always got around it with a bit of ingenuity and home engineering. It is worth considering though as when you buy these accessories you do want them to fit straight on without bodging bits of steel strap etc, particularly child seats.
    That said, I still love it. It is comfy and the only stock thing I have changed is the bars for riser bars ( about £20) which give you a more upright riding position which is a lot more comfortable if you are a bigger frame around the belly region :wink: .
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    GT Tachyon 1.0. A lovely, lovely commuting bike.
    Rules are for fools.
  • I can't recommend padded shorts enough

This place does good ones for a good price and they do larger sizes.

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... x-pad.aspx

I ordered mine from here and they are very comfy, I wear them under jogging bottoms.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • mnid1977
    Many thanks for the good nuggets of info!

I was about to ask about recommendations for places that do base layers in big sizes so the above site has been bookmarked! Cheers Zombie_donkey !!

DH

Pic 1

Pic 2
  • CometGirl
    CometGirl Posts: 2,681
    If you're on the heavier side, I really wouldn't go for a suspension fork. You want all your energy to go into propelling you + bike along the road, not into bouncing the front about. A suspension fork is really only worth it if you're planning some serious off-roading. And avoid dual suspension like the plague, you'd do better with a pogo stick.

A Carrera Subway isn't a bad bike for the money, and Halfords have the Carrera bikes on 1/3 off at the moment.

The Boardman Performance hybrid looks good, too.

If you want cycle clothing in realistic sizes then look for your nearest Decathlon. :)

And if you want inspiration, head over to this blog - it's pretty amazing.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    +1 for the Boardman Hybrid in your circumstances. I'm a relative lightweight but the frame and wheels seem sturdy enough to take a fair bit of punishment.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mnid1977
    I've just been looking on the Halfords website tonight and notice they are currently offering 10% off GT bikes reserved online.

That means for the same price I could get the Boardman the member of staff recommended http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_502089_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

... i could also opt for the GT Aggressor XCR http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512509_langId_-1_categoryId_165499 if the discount is available for buying on the cycle2work scheme.

I'm still swaying to put slicker tyres on either of these and i'm also concious of previous posters who have advised GT's may be harder to attach stuff to ie mudguards but which has the better spec of the 2 ?

Many thanks

DH

Pic 1

Pic 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'd go for the Boardman, and yep defo steer clear of front suspension, especially cheap front suspension. Pointless and will end up costing you money when it breaks... make sure Halfords put the bike together properly, I've heard a few horror stories - back to front forks, loose stem, loose pedals etc!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Kona dew drop? :twisted:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    I've heard a few horror stories - back to front forks, loose stem, loose pedals etc!
    Yep, direct experience of that one. I didn't trust Halfords on this one and rode the bike 2 miles to my LBS for a 'once over'. Turned out a good upwards yank could have had the stem & bars coming off in my hands :shock: But don't let that put you off, the bikes are good quality and once you've checked it or had it checked, things should be fine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mnid1977 wrote:
    I must admit I quite liked but know I would need a bigger and softer saddle. :roll:

Everyone has their own saddle preference and no one saddle will suit everyone, but don't be fooled into thinking that a big, highly padded saddle will be kinder on your bum. All of that extra padding can lead to rubbing and chaffing in an area that you really don't want to be chaffed.

MrsEKE is fit but she has never been accused of being anorexic and she now sees why me, most of us on here and pro riders (who will do a few thousand miles in three weeks on the TdF) go for a thinner, harder saddle and padded shorts rather than something more highly sprung and padded than your granny's favourite armchair.
    I'll never forget the day we went out for a ride and she was in so much pain that she rode to the nearest bike shop and demanded a better saddle. She bought a Charge Spoon and is very happy with it. She also wears padded shorts for longer rides.
    For what its worth, I use a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow saddle.
    SASIFLGE_P1.JPG
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to go for an MTB or Hybrid because of your weight, a road bike will be fine. Depending on how much I ride, I fluctuate between around 18st and 20st plus and I ride a Caad8. I'm particularly Porky at the moment but planning to start my 32mile commute tomorrow!

If you do go for a Hybrid, I can't reccomend the Boardman Pro highly enough, I loved mine!
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Why was EKE searching through 3 year old threads about heavyweights on hybrids?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Why was EKE searching through 3 year old threads about heavyweights on hybrids?
    Well spotted... I wonder if the OP is a 9 stone racing snake now?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra