Favourite trail centre section/feature

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited July 2010 in Routes
I have only experienced Dalby, Gisburn, and Stainburn. Just wondering what kind of things are out there that need doing!

My Favourite section has to be Hully Gully at Gisburn,...superb. :D

Look forward to your thoughts.

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Peak district, natural trails miles better than trail centres. 8)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    hammy7272 wrote:
    My Favourite section has to be Hully Gully at Gisburn,...superb. :D

+1
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    Cane and Abel at Coed-y-Brening (on the MBR route).
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    Hidden Valley at Afan - can't get enough of it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cane and Abel at Coed-y-Brening (on the MBR route).
    Hell yes. As well as the Addams family sections on the Dragon's Back trail there.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Hidden Valley at Afan - can't get enough of it!

+1 for Hidden Valley. Brilliant section!
  • monkey trail at connock chase just before and after the railway crossing
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    loads of fave's, but sidewinder on penhydd, goodwood on Whites, pins and needles on Tarw up in CYB, and lurch on Dragons back.

Dragons back is awsome in so many sections though... Dream Time is one of the best sections anywhere ever IMHO.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    If it has to be trail centres sections then I like the final descent on climach-x. Other best bits of trail centres for me include a lot of coed-y-brenin, abel on MBR at coed-y-brenin & uncle fester on dragons back, pins and needles on tarw.....

I was quite pleased with the last descent on the new monkey trail at Cannock when i rode it for the first time the other week, theyve done good work with the terrain they had to play with there.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Lee Quarry all of it particulary the scary sections where you feel like you are an inch from dropping 200 feet.

Have a look at mancunianfightingcats videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mfcat2009#p/u/0/_QV6TExf8YU
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Energy on Whites level at Afan.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    monkey trail at connock chase just before and after the railway crossing

LOL just no.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    from Coed 'y' Brenin....(in no particular order)

Dream Time,
    Uncle Fester,
    Pink Heifer

.....plus loads of trails in and around Leith Hill!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Anonymous
    Seems to be a lot of love for Coed y Brenin here :D
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Energy on Whites level at Afan.
    this

Plus Coed Y bren Snap crackle and pop.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • hammy7272
    Cool... as I am going to Coed y Brenin tomorrow for the day (first time) :D . Which trails should I do?
  • chrisga
    MBR is a good ride, depends how strong a rider you are though to be honest. We find MBR and Tawr are ample, but dragons back is very good but longer, and the beast looks like, well a beast.... Temtiwr and cflym coch have good bits too and are a lot shorter. Dont be put off by badgers straight from the off, and make sure you do dreamtime, even if you do MBR, get to the bottom of dreamtime and ride back up to where you started it and carry on up the hill if doing MBR. If you get a map you will find you can link sections to make up your own options as its all fairly accesible via the fire roads depending on your mood. The run back down to the car park is very good too at the end. Make sure you go all the way to the bottom though, dont stop at the road, cross it and keep it pinned!

Love coed-y-brenin. You wont regret going!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    The beast was the second ever bit of welsh singletrack I rode, after climax the day before, and honestly, I didn't think it was that tough. A bit battered on the final descent thanks to being on a ht, but still had enough left in the tank to go and hit some of the best sections again. I'll admit, I was a bit sleepy that night, but not too bad!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Anonymous
    Badger's is the first section, isn't it? I'd strongly suggest that if you struggle with the very first section that you rethink, or re-asses your abilities. There's much tougher stuff later on, when you'll be tired.

It's the length of the beast that gets people I think. 38Km is a fair old way. Some of it's climbs are epic as well.
  • chrisga
    Yeah, badgers is first and is a good tester, but i'd personally say if you can get along that you can do the rest. The beasts' singletrack is all of the parts of the others added together isnt it? So yes i guess technically its no more difficult than the other trails but it would be the length of trail and climbs that would kill me!
  • Anonymous
    Shame the Beast doesn't include the Red Bull (er... Tarw, sorry :wink: ) trail
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Have rode a lot ( though not all ) of the Welsh trail centres and they've all been brill but for me the best section is the last bit at Ae called Omega Man, gets my vote for sheer grin factor :D

To be honest though I've not come away from any trail centre and been dissapointed.
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • hammy7272
    well just returned from Coed y Brenin,....what a place! Wow. I did the MBR but parts were shut due to repair :cry: I thought it was brilliant. I then did the Tarw which i felt was fire road up and fire road down and a few bits of single track. I kinda felt a bit cheeted? Is it me being greedy (not sure) still very new :roll: . Amazing views.

Looking at the maps I am looking forward to trying the Dragons back or even the Beast.

Pink Heiffer was superb.
  • Anonymous
    There's only two fireroad descents on the Tarw, one of which is broken up by several cracking sections of singletrack.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    chrisga wrote:
    If it has to be trail centres sections then I like the final descent on climach-x. Other best bits of trail centres for me include a lot of coed-y-brenin, abel on MBR at coed-y-brenin & uncle fester on dragons back, pins and needles on tarw.....

I was quite pleased with the last descent on the new monkey trail at Cannock when i rode it for the first time the other week, theyve done good work with the terrain they had to play with there.

Getting into it seriously now, being near cannock will ride there a lot but that final descent of the climach-x is just something else entirely that trail made cannock feel like walking the dog so much tougher. They're the only places i've rode yet but i'm craving another climach-x :lol:
  • Hully Gullly at Gisburn was good last year, but now it's so good, hopefully the new loose top surface will wash away and reveal a super quick roller coaster again!

Deliverance on Glentress black gets my vote though, I've only done it once and it was pishing down, maybe 'cos it's got that natural feel, but I absolutely loved it!
  • Magic Mushroom and The Matrix at Glentress.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The end?...
  • hammy7272
    O.K, after visiting Glentress with my pal last weekend. I have to upgrade my section to Magic mushroom! Quality.

My bike broke so I had to hire a bike for a couple of days. Good and bad, I have seen the light now of a 'proper mountain bike' and now need/want a new one! :lol:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Huge fan of magic mushroom at glentress, and the very top of Innerleithen was amazing! (the first few sections when heading down from the summit)

I also really rate the new end of FtD at Cannock, it's the perfect fast swoopy end to a tiring Monkey trail outing :D